Violin/Branded Violin

Question
Hi David,

I have a violin with a branded impression above the label. The brand is the same inscription or logo as in the label but when I look online I can not find any info about this. Can you take a look at my violin and give me an idea of this branding? Also looking through the end hole I see some faded writing on the upper left rib and a #58 on the lower left neck block. Could that be a serial number? Photo's here http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/Chateau14/library/Paolo%20De%20Barbieri?&

Thanks for your help

Answer
Hi Cam
I have never seen the logo on anything but on the label, that doesn't mean that he didn't use it, it is just not my forte of knowledge. There are some dealers that do specialize in modern Italian makers, probably in New York. The numbers could be a serial number but I have not seen closely inside a de Barbieri.

Not that you asked, but since you have me, let me give you some additional thoughts on your violin.

My initial feeling from your photos, comparing them against the other 12 known examples and my memory of those that I have seen in person, is that this is a copy. At least from your photos, the varnish looks to be much more of a matte finish than all of these examples rather than an almost wet looking feeling you get from looking at his varhish. His varnish is very soft as are many modern Italian instruments of that period, so soft that many of them have sections of the varnish that have actually been pushed around. I am also wondering why someone deliberately put all of those damaging marks all over the top of the instrument and other locations, they are clearly deliberate and not having to do with the maker Barbieri.  This is commonly done to make an instrument look older and de Barbieri didn't do that on his own instruments.  In addition, the repair to the neck and button may need attention. The marking on the top under the bridge feet also looks very different and deliberate from what a true 75 year old violin normally looks like and the instrument as a whole does not show wear at the points an instrument of 75 years should show. The varnish drip in the bottom of the bass "f" hole is not what you would see on a fine Italian violin, but rather on a cheaper made instrument where care was not taken during the varnish and set up procedure, as this can cause a serious buzz to occur. As a whole, the instrument has many of the earmarks of a copy. I am however only looking at pictures and those are not three dimensional vision which is really needed when evaluating an instrument, I could not be seeing some things that would be helpful to see. As always it is best to show the violin to an expert, in person where they can evaluate it directly and in good natural light. As labels are very easily falsified, it is the instrument itself that determines its authenticity.  

Violin

David Lashof