Violin/Help with an old violin

Question
Front
Front  

Back
Back  
I know this is probably a long-shot, but thought I'd try it anyway.  I have an old violin that belonged to my grandfather that I'm trying to identify.  There are no maker's marks on the instrument.  You can see the glue where (we're assuming) a lable was affixed inside the violin but of course, that lable is gone.  My father said that he was told that it was purchased from a neighbor in 1920.  Is there anything that you can see in the photos (and I have more pictures of sides, bottom and bridge that I can send) that would help you identify a maker, area of manufacture, time period it was made, etc.?

Also, I'm the caretaker of this instrument for my brother but I know nothing about how to care for musical instruments.  Can you give advice on how it should be cared for (bees wax??) or could you direct me to a website that gives instructions for care of old instruments?  ANY information that you are able to provide would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Answer
Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your question.  Well, I can't see much in these pictures, thought it looks like nice quality wood.  To make any sort of guess as to the quality of construction, though, I'd have to have larger pics / closeups.  Even then, it really would be best to take it to someone who could look at it in person.  It's very difficult to tell much from even good pictures.

As for instrument care . . .  Please put away the bee's wax! :)  A violin does not need much in the way of care.  Cleaners, polishes, etc. are often more harmful than helpful.  Keep the violin where you live - don't store in the attic or basement.  Don't store it by the heater or in direct sunlight.  Try to keep the humidity in the room between 40% and 60%.  If the room humidity drops below 40%, purchase and use a case humidifier or a 'Dampit' to keep the wood of the violin from drying out.  

If it is being played regularly, you'll want to check the bridge periodically to make sure it remains straight (perpendicular to the front of the violin), to prevent warping or breaking the bridge.  You'll also need to replace the strings and the bow hair periodically (roughly every 6-12 months).  The bow hair should be rosined before each use and loosened when not being played.  After playing, it is wise to use a clean, dry, cotton cloth to 1)gently brush the rosin from the strings and front of the violin, 2)gently wipe the rosin from the bow stick (not the hair), and 3)wipe the sweat off the strings and fingerboard.  The pegs and fine tuners will also periodically need to be lubricated.

Also, if it hasn't been seen for a while, you should consider having it checked by a professional for open seams, cracks, post tension and placement, and other potential issues.  That's particularly true if it has been in storage for a while.  At the same time, you could ask for an acoustical adjustment to see that it is setup correctly, and an appraisal of its value.

Hope that's helpful.  Good luck with it!

Best Regards,
Jim Fisher  

Violin

James S. Fisher