Violin/introduceing a valued violin

Question
Dear Mr. lashof
I teach at university in one of Iranian border cities.We invite a minstrel who was playing his old violin very nice to interview in my class.
He was subsisting by his arrangement at cafes before Islamic revolution but his job slumped after revolution and he was living hardly.
He died eight years ago and I want to sell his worthy instrument helping his family and introducing the valued violin(ofcours the best price).
There is an eggshell and constricted label in the violin that says:
Joseph Guarnerius fecit
FaF-cremonae-ANNO 1713
Made in MILANO-ITALIA
Reading this label was difficult and I could not read two or three characters of that carefully.
please help me to help it and them.
Thanks for your your help.

Answer
Hi Ali
Without seeing the instrument I cannot give you any real information on it, even if it were actually made in Italy. However I can tell you from what you have provided that the instrument is not a Guarneri. It is very commonplace to find instruments with false or misleading labels, often they were just put there to denote the model the instrument was fashioned after. He worked in Cremona and not Milan and so only the Cremona city name was on his labels which I have photographs of (below are the actual wordings of his various labels). Secondly he never learned English and so the "Made in" would never appear on a label of his.  This actually points to an instrument that was made for the US market and would have been made post 1914 as that is when this wording in English became a requirement to import instruments into the United States.  The violin could still have some value, but it would need to be seen in person to determine the country of origin and its value. I might be able to see some evidence of this in high quality photographs, but it is always more accurate to see a violin in person. I am sorry this didn't turn out to be an original Guarneri, but they just don't show up anymore.

Joesph Guarnerius
Alumnus Andrea Gisalberti
fecit Cremona.  17--
-----
Joseph Guarnerius del Gesu
Fecit Cremona 17--
-----
Joseph Guarnerius Cremonensis
faciebat 17--

Violin

David Lashof