Violin/1992 david ouvry 4/4 violin

Mr. Lashof: I recently bought a violin from an individual who found the instrument at a yard sale. He said his son showed no interest so he posted it on craigslist for $45.00. I paid him $50.00 because a case and a bow were included. I see you have a book that has information about a lot of makers. My question is what was the violin selling price back in 1992. It has solid flamed sycamore/maple? back, sides and neck and a solid spruce top, ebony fingerboard, an ouvry stamped bridge, composite looking tailpiece w/ 4 fine tuners and what appear to be rosewood pegs and chinrest. I had to reglue a lower bout and reset the soundpost. The egdes have seen better days but there are no cracks. It sounds much better than my chinese made 4/4. The inside label reads David R. Ouvry anno 1992 Maidenhead England. It's hand written. You may say what it's worth today if you'd like.

It sounds like you might have found a good deal. None of his instruments have sold at auction going back to when my records start in the early 80's. I would contact Mr Ouvry himself at  His current instruments sell for around $4500. My guess is yours is in the $2000-3500 range, but it is just a guess as I don't know what his very early instruments were like (started in 1988). The value will not be based on what it might have sold for in 92.

He may also have put his name to some instruments that were not made by him but just finished - but I doubt this is the case, he would also know if that was the case.  Just be sure to give him all the information on the label and he may want to have pictured to authenticate that the instrument was made by him.  The condition will make a difference in the value, but it will be a starting place.

David Lashof

I can answer questions on violin, viola, cello and bass making, repair and maintenance as well as supply general violin value ranges and information on instrument makers’ assuming the instrument's as labeled. I don't give values for modern makers as many of these modern makers are yet unknown to me. I can only give you feedback based on what information you give me, and no authority on the instrument can know every maker's work that ever lived. I have access to many books on makers and auction prices on over 25,000 makers, as well as having 36 years of experience with selling and appraising violins. Without having the instrument in hand, any estimate over the internet is just a guess as the label inside an instrument is more often wrong than right, so just having that information is not very useful. Pictures can sometimes be helpful but only so much, as the "feel" of the instrument along with small clues in workmanship and varnish cannot be seen in pictures. Any pictures should be high quality close-ups of the top and back. Additional photos of the front and treble side of the neck are also useful. It is always best to have an instrument seen in person at a violin shop that does appraisals. I can also provide advice on bows, rosin, strings and other string instrument accessories. As I am now retired, I have no bias towards selling anything; I only wish to share my knowledge and experience by providing information for those that may be getting confused by misinformation, misdirection or conflicting statements. (While I have seen many thousands of instruments and have performed numerous appraisals; if I have not evaluated an instrument in person, any information I set forth in an opinion is just that, an opinion based solely on what you have provided. Thusly, no financial decision should be based on that opinion, but rather, further investigation should be performed by having the instrument examined in person.)

I am a retired violin maker and repairman with 35 years experience having worked in Chicago and Maryland at 5 different violin shops and music stores including the first violin repairman at William Harris Lee in Chicago, the head repairman at Weavers Violins in Maryland, and in my own shop of 25 years. I have made 160 instruments and have restored countless professional level and student grade instruments. I am an accomplished violinist having performed with semi-professional as well as amateur groups although I haven't played for years and mostly stay away from questions about playing. I have taught violin making and restoration to about 20 students; three of which have gone on professionally and now have their own shops. I know violins from playing, selling, repairing, making and teaching.

Violin Society of America (VSA). American String Teachers Association (ASTA)

I graduated from the prestigious 4 year Chicago School of Violin Making in 1981 under Master Violin Maker Tschu Ho Lee. I also studied with violin maker Willis M. Gault in Washington DC from 1973-75, who was the former owner of the oldest known example of an instrument from the modern violin family, an Andreas Amati Viola.

2008 Chester Petranek Award for service to the music community. ASTA award for service. Top All Expert in Violin for 2014 and 2015.

I have worked with many professional musicians from DC area Symphonies as well as players from all over the US. Here are just a few, Leonard Slatkin - Former conductor of the National Symphony Orchestra. Doris Gazda - Nationally renowned string specialist and composer. Bernard Greenhouse, Tanya Anisimova - Internationally renowned Solo Cellists. Jody Gatwood, Mark Pfannschmidt, Lori Barnet, Doug Dubé, Judy Silverman - National Philharmonic Orchestra. Robert Blatt, David Hardy, Glen Garlick - National Symphony Orchestra. Eddie Stubbs, Brendan Mulvahill, Nate Leath - Professional Fiddle Players. David Basche, Pat Braunlich, John Knudson, Romano Solano, Ed Ferris, Fred Lieder - freelance musicians.