Violin/Amatus Copy

Question
Violin Front
Violin Front  

Violin Back
Violin Back  
Hi David,
I have an old violin, and I am looking for some help in identifying it.  It appears to be a Nicolo Amati copy, but I have no idea when or where it could have been made, besides the fact that it must be 150+ years old because it has been in our family for that long.  The label on the inside of the violin reads: " Nicolas Amatus Cremonen Hieronymi Fil. ac Antonij Nepos Fecit 1618"   However, the 18 in 1618 is handwritten and is quite worn; it could also be 78.  Based on a very brief internet research session, I found two things odd about the label: 1) the spelling of "Nicolaus" appears incorrect, and 2) the date that appears to be 1618 does not align with the period in which Nicolaus's name appeared on violins coming from the Amati shop.  I have also attached pictures of the front and back of the violin if they would be of any use in identifying it.  Thank you for any assistance that you may provide, and let me know if I could provide more information or pictures to help you.

Answer
Hi Dillon
You are correct, although there were 4 different Nicolo Amati makers that worked from 1568-1730, the one that used a similar label didn't work that early. These partially correct labels were very commonplace and used by the thousands in commercial copies. From the pictures you have provided, it is easy to tell that this is a German copy from the late 1800's. It is sometimes difficult to pinpoint an exact date but the type of varnish and workmanship are clearly from the 1870's-1890's. The violin needs a lot of work and given its heritage it may not be worth making playable.  I can't see all that it needs but the edges are badly damaged and would cost a lot to restore as well as needing a complete going over. Many years of rosin was left to build up and harden on the top also causing an expensive repair in order for it to sound its best. The value of instruments like this are generally in the $500-1200 range in good playing and maintenance condition.  Of course the value to you as having been in the family cannot be assessed by me.

Violin

David Lashof