Violin/bow

Question
Mr. Lashof- can candle heat/flame be used to recamber a bow or does an alcohol lamp/burner have to be used? Also, are there ways to shorten bow hair length without having to disassemble the frog and tip. I have used candle heat to staighten arrow shafts in the past so I know what it takes to bend/staighten wood. The bow I want to try recambering is a cheap import but the hair still makes music when used to play even though there's a good 1/2- 5/8" gap between hair and bow when adjusted for play.

Answer
The heat from a candle is dirty heat and will cause soot to get on the stick or hair.  An alcohol lamp or some alcohol in a small metal cup works well (the flame is less concentrated).
Unless you are talking about a very small amount, the length needs to be adjusted inside the frog, but even that sometimes doesn't work very well and produces less than an ideal rehair as it is difficult to re-tie well when you don't have the extra hair to hold onto. That big of a gap could also be caused by the hair plug giving way in the frog which is very common in cheap bows. Also be aware that many cheap bows are lacquered and that can catch on fire or the wood scorches. Good bows are never finished with anything but oil.  

Violin

David Lashof