Violin/Violin appraisal/info

Question
violin1.jpg
violin1.jpg  

violin2.jpg
violin2.jpg  
I have a violin that my grandmother received in about 1918 (Provenance before that is not known.).  It has been played off & on since 1962.  I've tried finding similar violins, however, I've not yet found any pictures of any with as intricate inlay as this one has.  The label reads: Antonius Straduarius Cremonensis Faciebat anno 1715. A+S  (a cross type symbol between the A & S) All printed, there are no handwritten notations. I realize this is not a Stradivarius, but would like any information and/or appraisal value you can provide.  I can provide a photo of the label (or any additional photos), if needed.  Thanks in advance.

Answer
Hi Carolyn
Although I haven't seen this exact design, inlay patterns like this are not that all unusual from the period of 1880-1920.  Many German and French firms were producing these "FANCY" violins for export. As you surmised, this is just a copy and not a very close one as Stradivari never used the kind of inlay on the back that you see although he did do some similar inlays around the edges. The label is similar to many thousands of copied instruments, Stradivari always hand wrote the last three date digits after 1700. Based on the wood selection, varnish and workmanship, depending on the sound, this instrument would be valued in the $800-1500 range. Because of the style of pegs that were installed, not considered proper today. I would put its value in the lower half of that range if otherwise in good condition which I am unable to ascertain from the pictures. For a more accurate assessment you should take it to be seen in person at a violin shop.

Violin

David Lashof