Violin/violin history

Question
newspaper article
newspaper article  
QUESTION: I have attached a picture of a newspaper article about a violin. Can you give me any more information on this particular violin or tell me where I can find more information?

ANSWER: Hi Tonya
Bartolomeo Giuseppe Antonio Guarneri who was known as Joseph Guarneri del Jesu is one of the most sought after violin makers next to Stradivari. His instruments are rare and typically auction for $500,000 or more. He only made around 250 instruments with only about 150 remaining today. I don't know of any currently up for auction and they only become available around every 2-4 years. Your best way to find one is to call around to the high end violin shops and auction houses to let them know you are interested. There are entire books written on him and his family.
FYI, he never worked with or for Stradivari. Joseph's father Andrea, studied alongside Stradivari under Nicolo Amati but Joseph studied making with his father.

violin
violin  

violin2
violin2  
QUESTION: This newspaper article was attached to a violin case I have in my possession with a violin inside(photo attached). I was trying to find out if this is the violin the article is speaking of, or how I could find out. If the violin the article is speaking of is currently in someone elses possession, it clearly answers my question. But, do you know of which of his violins this particular article is addressing? Or if there is somewhere I could find out.

Answer
Hi again
I can't tell you  which specific Guarneri violin the article is talking about, but I can tell you with no doubt whatsoever that the violin in these pictures is not a real Guarneri.  It was made around 1880-1900 in Germany and although it might be repairable it probably wouldn't be worth it financially. I can't think of any way to find out more of this story unless you could track down when and where the article was written, then there might be people around that remembered the incidence.

Violin

David Lashof