Violin/violin strings i.d.

Question
QUESTION: Mr. Lashof- Could you give an opinion on what type of strings I have on my violin. I looked at another website that had alot of information about string i.d. but I didn't find any answers.
The string thread winding colors are these.

G- goldish yellow/green
D- olive drab
A- turqouise- It doesn't look light blue to me.
E- purple
These are solid color threads with the exception of the g thread which may have a small ribbon of shinier material interwined.
The entire length of the wound strings (g,d and a) are more tightly wound than the set of Red Label mediums I have on another violin. The others I have to get closer to see the windings while the red labels are easier to see.
Since I'm here Dave, what is the average number of instruments (violins) that serious amatuer players posess? Something in my head tells me to get a few then on the other hand one violin may be enough. p.s.- the lava soap on the tuning pegs works real well. thanks.

ANSWER: Hi
I might be able to figure it out, but I need more information. I need to know which end of the string you re talking about and I need the colors for both ends.  For example:
G String, Tailpiece end - Golden Yellow, Peg end - Blue
Please provide this for each string. Hopefully with that I can figure it out. Keep in mind that some colors are slightly off for different brands ie. different shades of green. If it is easier, take a close up picture of the tailpiece and the peg box and send that to me.

Most amateur players I know have only one instrument, they then trade that in towards a better one when they can. I only know a few that have more than one. Working musicians often have several so that they can use a lessor quality instrument for outdoor jobs like weddings and holiday concerts.

QUESTION: Mr. Lashof - the colored threads mentioned earlier were from the tailpiece.

The pegbox end are these-
G- is the same as the other end. A golden/yellow greenish thread.
  It appears some of the plating/metal winding is losing it's aluminum
  covering/sheen but nothing is coming apart.
D- tailpiece olive drab- pegbox end - goldish/yellow
  This is a thicker string than the g but I don't think it's as
  strong as the g.
A- tailpiece turqouise - pegbox turqouise

E- tailpiece purple - pegbox purple
  This one may be a wound string. Are wound e strings made for violins?

Answer
Well, I wasn't very successful unless it is a combination of a number of different brands.

The E could be a Westminster or a Dominant
The A could be a Thomastic Superflexible or if bluer, than Infeld Blue
The D could be a soft gauge Dominant if not too olive or more likely a Jargar Silver (Dolce)
The G could be a soft gauge Corelli Alliance

There are a few really new strings out now that I am not familiar with the colors, so I guess it could be one of those but in general the major string companies like Pirastro and Thomastic have some consistency and your strings don't fit that.

Sorry I couldn't have helped more, as the color of the strings can very just slightly and your description might be different than my description. Even the feel of strings can make a difference and steel or Rope core strings will have a different feel and thickness than synthetic core strings. There are also many Chinese off brands that are impossible to know what the are.

Violin

David Lashof