Violin/Electric Violins

Electric Violin
Electric Violin  
Hi again Mr Fisher ! I just want to know what is your take on electric violins because I plan on buying one next year so I'd like to know more about it before I do. I like to perform pop and house music on my violin like the American Dubstep violinist Lindsey Stirling. I already started by composing the chorus to Adele's "Skyfall" which I'd like to send to you.

Hi Divonia,

Thanks for your question.  Unfortunately, I'm not an expert in electric instruments and haven't messed around with them much.  We carry only traditional acoustic violins in our shop.  With that said . . .

I'd say, if you like the sound and response of the electric, go for it.  There are a variety of electric instruments out there.  Most will require the use of an amp.  You'll have more control over the sound electronically - adding effects, reverb, flanging, distortion, etc.  And, it's easier to plug into a sound reinforcement system if you perform.  

The trade-off is that no pedal effect will give you the rich acoustic sound of a good violin - if that's what you want.  But, if you're playing pop music you may not want or need that.  There are also pickups you can get for an acoustic instrument - both clip-on pickups and ones that must be installed by a pro.  These would also give you electronic control of the sound, but don't look as snazzy as electric violins.  And electrics just have a different feel and quality to them.  Try them out and see what you like.  It's all a matter of what sound you're after and what you can afford.

Good luck with the composing!

Best Regards,
Jim Fisher  

James S. Fisher

Please Note: For an accurate appraisal of your instrument's value or history, I must advise you to take it to a local luthier or string shop for an evaluation. It's really not possible to do this with any accuracy via email.

However, I am happy to answer other questions about violins, bows, violin playing, and violin/bow repair. I can also talk with you about what bows, rosin, strings, cases, shoulder rests, etc. might work best for you and your particular instrument. (There are some great new products on the market.) I've taught violin and fiddle playing for the past 18 years and will answer questions about playing and technique.

I've been studying the violin for over thirty years. I started teaching in 1996. In addition to my training at Lebanon Valley College and at the Violin Institute, I handle violins, bows, and customer questions of all sorts on a daily basis in my shop - J.S. Fisher Violins,

I hold a Bachelor of Music degree from Lebanon Valley College, as well as certificates in violin repair, violin maintenance, and bow rehairing from the Violin Institute at the University of New Hampshire.