Violin/Violin & Cello

Question

What size violin & cello would you recommend for beginner students ages 8, 11, and 13? I am curious about appropriate sizes of each instrument for each age.

Also, what beginning music materials, like method books, would you recommend for those students?

Any other information or resources that would be good to know about for beginners?

Thank you!

Answer
Hi Marty

Sizing a child is much more complicated than knowing the child's age. As you know, not all 11 year olds are the same size. What is important is the arm length and hand size, these are what are used to determine the correct size for the violin. The violin is put on place on the child's shoulder and the arm is extended around the scroll of the violin. If the hand wraps around the scroll comfortably to the peg box, that is the correct size. Using his method, typically the average 13 year old will play a 4/4, the 11 year old will probably be in either a 3/4 or 4/4 and the 8 year old will most likely be in a 1/4 or 1/2.

The cello is actually even harder because the child should really be seated in a chair so that their feet can set flat on the floor, then the instrument is placed at the appropriate position and the arm is extended with the bow in place. The player should be able to maintain the bow perpendicular to the strings from frog to tip and centered between the fingerboard and the bridge. Because of this, it really is necessary to have all of the cello sizes at your disposal in order to fit the child.

As far as music goes, I am not really a teacher anymore, however if the students are taking from a private teacher or school (which I strongly advise), they will be given or told which music to get. If they are taking classes at school, you want them using what others are so they will be at the same place. One of the most used books today for beginners is Essential Elements 2000 which also comes with a CD and DVD.

Typically the instrument will come with rosin. In addition to that you will want a music stand and some sort of electronic chromatic tuner to assist you in tuning the instruments.

I also have lots of additional information on my information only web site at http://violininformation.webs.com/

Violin

David Lashof