Violin/violin

Question
my friend has a violin that belonged to his grandfather and my friend is 81 so the violin is old. I looked at it and it had some paper work it it saying it was repaired in the earlier 40's but also it has a date on burned on it and it is inside the violin the date burned in it is 1711, I do not know who made it and I do not know how much it is worth, I am hoping that you can enlighten me, I can send you a few pics of the piece when you want to, thank you

Answer
Hi Michael
Sorry for any delay, as this question was in the question pool, I did not see it until now. With the information provided no one would be able to give you any information. A repairman's label may only be good to say that the instrument is older than the date on his label. Even that can be unusable. Labels are easily inserted into instruments, even branding is not uncommon as part of copying a makers work. Pictures might be helpful and I will be glad to look at some. If you send pictures, take high quality images that are straight on, not at an angle and get closeups of the top, back, front and side of the scroll, and if possible any of the markings inside the instrument.  Since AE doesn't allow more than 2 pictures, you are welcome to send them to me directly at davidlashof@yahoo.com.

Even with pictures, I might not be able to tell much if anything. It is always best to take the violin to a violin shop so that it can be looked at in person.  

Violin

David Lashof