Violin/Violin Value (Aprox).

Question
violin pic 7
violin pic 7  
violin pic 1
violin pic 1  
QUESTION: Hi David,
Aprox. 10 yrs ago I purchased an antique violin at a thrift shop in the Pittsburgh, Pa area.  I had intention of learning to play, so I hand carried violin and bow to a fiddle shop in Galax, Va., where It was repaired, along with having the bow re-strung.  Labels inside read:  Salvadore de Durro, B&J New York, Sole Importers.  Other label reads:  Copy of Nicolaus Amati, Made In Germany.  Size: 3/4.  Bow is very old, and I understand it to be worth a few hundred dollars alone.  Upon completion of restoration, I drove to Va. to pick up this violin.  I asked if shop owner would play a song, as this would probably be the best this fiddle would ever sound.  He played a song, and upon finishing, offered to buy this violin for $1,200. on the spot.  I'm now ready to sell, but would like to know if this offer is accurate.  This shop buys and sells old violins.  What do you think?  I appreciate your feedback.  Mr. Dailey.

ANSWER: Hi Dana

I know the de Durro violins well, as I have sold many over the years. There were about 10 different models, Amati's being below and above the middle. They retail from about $1000-2000. It is impossible to say what yours is worth without playing it and seeing it close up, but I would say that physically it looks like it is one that is above the middle of the range. Because it is a small size (although from your picture it looks like the body measures 14" - a 4/4 size), they generally don't sell for as much as the 4/4 ones. So a wholesale price of $1200, is probably a good offer.  I can't tell anything bout the bow from the picture.

bow only
bow only  

bow handle
bow handle  
QUESTION: Hi David,

Wanted to tell you how impressed I was with your quick, and knowledgeable response to my inquiry.  Much Appreciated !!!!!

I have attached pics of the bow which was also restored w/the above violin.  Fiddle shop in Va re-did the black & white wrapping, along with re-stringing the bow with real horse hair.  They commented that this was also a real nice bow.  It measures 28 3/4" overall.  
Could you tell me about it, and its value.

Thanks Again,
Mr. Dailey

Answer
Hi again Dana

Unfortunately these photos are no where near close up enough or good enough for a very accurate assessment. It appears that the bow is German made and mounted in Nickel silver. The quality of the ebony in the frog is just average since in has a brown streak. The frog also looks like it has either been trimmed or worn down where the thumb goes, which also effects the value.  With all of that, I would expect the value to be between $100-150. However, without a close up inspection I could be wrong in either direction.

The quality of the new grip is not very good and from what I can tell may not be installed at the correct location. With the frog all the way towards the tip, the leather should be up against the frog, it appears that there would be a gap. The leather also appears to be both too short and too thick to be comfortable.  

I hope this helps

Dave

Violin

David Lashof