Violin/CA Herold

Question
I have owned a CA Herold violin - now in poor condition requiring new strings and a rehaired bow.  Is it of any value?  Would it be worth reburbishing?  If so how much might it cost?

Answer
Hi Miriam,

Thanks for your question.  Unfortunately, to get any sort of accurate answer, you'd really need to take it in person to a reputable violin ship for an appraisal and estimate for repair.  C. A. Herold was a German distributor of stringed instruments from the mid 19th to mid 20th century.  Many of the instruments they sold were made by various members of the Herold family.  But, they sold a wide range of different quality instruments.  As for repairs, both re-stringing the instrument and re-hairing the bow are routine jobs and not particularly costly.  New strings range from $15 to $150 per set.  A good rehair will generally run you about $60 - $70.  If the instrument itself is in good condition, then it's almost certainly worth it.  Old wood always sounds better than new, so an instrument of this age may sound quite good.  (Of course, much depends on the original quality of the craftsmanship.)  If, however, the violin has been sitting in the attic, then there are likely to be structural problems - i.e. unglued seams, mis-aligned neck, etc.  In that case, it may not be worth repairing.  But, again, it depends on the original quality of the instrument.

But, I'd say that it's certainly worth checking it out.  Give a call to a reputable shop in your area and make an appointment for a proper appraisal.  Best of luck with it!

Jim Fisher

Violin

James S. Fisher