Violin/Francesco Ruggieri violin??

Question
1
1  
violin
violin  
QUESTION: Dear Mr. Lashof,

I would like to ask you about my mothers violin,
this piece is in family for a long time.
I read a manny of articles about old vintage violin and i think its a little bit possible to think about this like an really old violin.
I explored, some photos of Ruggieri master pieces and found a harmony in few details.
I would like to ask zou for your opinion.
Thanks a lot for your answer and please forgive to me my amateur language skills.

I attach a few photos for u.

Kindly regards

Michal Zahor
Czech republic
ps:
i can attach only two photos so if u will want more i will need your email adress.

ANSWER: Hi Michal

Thanks for all of the great pictures, they told me what I need to know.  Unfortunately the violin you have is a copy of a Ruggieri.  It was made in the late 1800's to early 1900's most likely in Germany or possibly Bohemia or Czechoslovakia. The label is what is called a facsimile, and is in way to good a condition to be that old and appears to be made from modern paper vs. rag paper and not block printed as a real one would be.  Books of labels were printed in the late 1800's with hundreds of copies of the great masters labels reproduced in them. These were available to the firms that made "trade" instruments, ones made to be sold by dealers in the trade of selling violins. They were assembly line hand made instruments.  The violin you have was clearly not made 350 years ago, almost all of the antiqued look was done when it was made, including all of the artificial aging of the varnish. In addition there is no neck graft. Any instrument, unless still set up for baroque music which this one isn't, made prior to around 1820 will have had a neck graft as the angle of the neck and its length was changed when the tuning pitch of the orchestra was raised because of modern music styles.

Yours is certainly a nice example and could still be worth some money. Usually these trade instrument are worth up to around $2500 and I think that yours depending on condition and sound could be worth in the $2000-2500 range. I can't see all of it to access the condition and obviously I can't hear its sound.  

As always it is best to have it looked at in person.  To get a true value, you should take it to be seen in person at a violin shop where everything can be evaluated.

QUESTION: Hi David,
thank You so so much for very quick answer.
If you dont mind i have a few more question.
Im sorry if i understood not all or something wrong.
Is this violin hand or factory made?
infprmation for u: this varnish is after renovation, this violin maker who made renovation told to my
mom that he never saw so nice piece long time or never.
Im not sure if i clearly understood what is the "neck graft" exactly is?
Found some ruggieri original picture and head and neck is similar, also used varnish colour is the one of he used.
Ofcourse u are expert and i knew its copy, but from all i read from your experties and pictures of all stradivari or amati and all kinds of violin from famous cremona maikers this one is from other wood type.
I think label inside is really from rag paper.
Sound is really nice wish to u listen my favourite boccerini menuetto played by my mom:)
Neck is also look like strongly used...
violin is also "typical" ruggieri sized as i read its look smallerthan others but is 4/4.

Again i must thank u so much for your expertise im really glad!

Its not about money, i really believed that this piece could be ruggieri work...
Michael.

Answer
Ruggierri top
Ruggierri top  

Ruggierri Scroll
Ruggierri Scroll  
Hi again Michael
The violin is both hand made and factory made, it was made in an assembly line factory by hand, in fact by many hands. Someone made the top and someone else the scroll and so forth. As far as the neck graft goes, here is a link to show the difference and where to look - http://violininformation.webs.com/identifyinginstruments.htm#921729503 look at the bottom of the page- there are pictures.  
I have attached a photo of a real Ruggieri.  Although the varnish color is similar, the varnish technique and workmanship are very different. If the restorer re-varnished the instrument, then he destroyed much of the value, so I am sure that he just did some touchup and cleaned things up.  Yours has artificial aging to the varnish and wood working. These things really need to be pointed out to you in person, not by someone trying to describe it through words in an email. It just isn't possible to explain 40 years worth of experience in a few sentences.  As I said before, yours is one of the nicer trade instruments that I have seen, so it would be at the top of the value range. I have also attached a picture of a real Ruggieri scroll. Many things are subtle and take the eye of an experienced appraiser to see. It is always best, as I have said, to have the instrument looked at in person

Violin

David Lashof