Violin/JTL Violin worth

Question
Certificate content
Certificate content  
Cover of the certificate
Cover of the certifica  
QUESTION: Hi David,

I've just bought a JTL violin in HK with HKD 60000 (around less than 9000 US). I would very much want to know the real value and approx date of the violin.

The only information I've got from the violin itself is its JTL label, a number 6 (or 9 ?)label, craved 'L' and a hand-written label of F121260. The seller gave me a certificate issued by the French.(please see attached)

The sound box of the violin gives it a deep echo, and the quality of sound is good. I would just like an estimate of the value and the possibility of the date.

Feel free to email me for the photo of the violin.

Thank you.

Amanda

ANSWER: Hi Amanda
I ma not sure what to say, you stated it is labeled JTL but the certificate says Jerome Thibouville Lamy. Those are two very different things. A JTL is a factory instrument that at most sells for around $2500-3000 US and many models under $1000. The ones bearing the full signature I have seen auction for as much as $3000 and generally sell retail for no more than around $7000 US. Obviously I have not seen the specific instrument in question so I can not evaluate it fir its own merits. I can tell you this, when they were made, the price range went all the way from around $3 to around $100. So assuming everything went up equally in value those at $3 that are worth $500 today, the $100 ones would be worth $17,000.

Assuming the number 6 or 9 is a model, which may or may not be true, both numbers are in the JTL catalog and put the original price at $9-20, that would equate to $1500-3300.  But of course, that is not how violins are valued.

The only way is to have it looked at in person. Assuming the number is not a model and it can be determined that it is the highest grade instrument, I would feel that the value is a little high for the market (at least here in the US. I have no idea what premium the Hong Kong market gets.

As far as date range goes, you are probably looking from around 1880-1920. A photo would only tell me if it was a lower grade instrument rather than a higher grade one. Feel free to send it to me if you would like.  

Violin
Violin  
QUESTION: David,

Thanks for all the information, however I don't know whether mine should be a factory-made or hand-made. According to the certificate, it should be hand-made right? So that should've pulled the price up.
The JTL factory label- is it a harp icon with 'JTL' typed below? Or do handmade violins have Jerome's signature?

Please see attached for the violin photo.
Thank you so much!

Amanda

Answer
Hi again Amanda

All violins of that era are handmade, the factory ones were just made by many hands in an assembly line format. Some of them can be very nice. Looking at your instrument, it is certainly not at the bottom of the list of factory instruments, but I just can't tell where it is in quality. All of the violins that I have ever seen that have the JTL harp logo, are factory ones, I do know that the very best Jerome Thouboville Lamy instruments were signed and did not have that factory label.

I would really need to see it close up to tell much more. Many of the violins also had an additional label that gave them a model name, that would certainly clinch it as I can't say if the 6 or 9 has any relation to model.  The longer number you said was in it may have been added later, as I have never seen that kind of number in any JTL instrument and firms did not use serial numbers back then.

Violin

David Lashof