Violin/stainer violin

Question
violin
violin  

violin
violin  
I have a Jacobus Stainer violin left from my grandfather and was wondering the value. Label does not say copy. I will include as many images as you allow. Thanks. The chin rest is broken and when we moved a scratch developed. Label says 16 at the end, but I can't read any numbers after the 16

Answer
Hi Scott,

Thanks for your question.  You have a student-level, factory instrument.  I'm afraid that it is not a genuine Stainer.  Many thousands of factory instrument have been produced around the world bearing his name, and this is one of them.  I can't tell you much about the quality just from the pictures, but from what I see, I think it unlikely to be of great value.  The quality of both the wood and the craftsmanship speak to a lower-end instrument.  However, some nice, older, factory instruments fetch as much as $2,000.00 to $2,500.00 at auction.  And, if this is from your Grandfather, I'm guessing that it's been around for a few years and the wood is at least well-aged.  Other factory instruments are not even worth the cost of new strings.  But, I'd recommend taking it to a reputable shop for a proper appraisal and estimate for repairs.  If nothing else, it will at least be a nice family heirloom.

Best of luck to you with your instrument.

Jim Fisher

Violin

James S. Fisher