Violin/violin

Question
i inherited 3 violins-the one im questioning about is labled as follows-mathias abert? sruten  unb  augen ariqanisher? in salisbury anno 17 76 the latter penciled in. the label is very old,the varnish is aaged like crackle and my famileys possesion can be traced back at least 150 yrs-is it valuable? i can only send a pic via cell

Answer
Hi Wiley

I probably can't help you much. Most of those words are just nonsense and are not German or Austrian as one would think with the name Mathias. Salisbury is also not in Germany but in England unless it was supposed to say Salzburg. In any case, there is no maker listed in any reference manual or database by the name of Mathias Abert or anything close to that. The closest that I can come is Mathias Albani, but he died in 1712.  Pictures may not help, but I would be glad to take a look, if they are not high quality it won't be worth the effort as I would need to look very closely at the instruments workmanship and condition. If you could get a picture of the label, I might see something that you don't. The best thing to do is to take it to a violin shop for an in person evaluation. They may be able to read the label better to see what was being attempted to say on the label. In the end, whatever the label says has to be corroborated by what the instrument is. Just having a label by a known maker does not make it by that maker. But even assuming that it is made by an obscure maker with the name Mathias Abert, it would still need to be examined closely in person to determine a value.

I am sorry that I couldn't help more, but with the information provided there is no way to give you more.  

Violin

David Lashof