Violin/Aristo?

Question
back
back  
top
top  
QUESTION: Hello David Lashof,

Few days ago I bought a Violin with an Aristo Label that you can see in the pictures. I search in the internet and I found a little info about Aristo. These were apparently made in france between 1880 to 1930?, have few models after Maggini, Strad and Amati Guarneri made by some Fiat Musica atelier. At first sight looks fine. My violin teacher says this where mistreated and mishandled and not look french, looks German. I'm a little sad now. Can you take a look to the pictures and give me your advice and guess apprisal about this violin please? I have more images in my computer if these are usefull.

Thanks

ANSWER: Hi Andres

You are correct that it is a French made instrument. Depending on if it says "France" or "Made in France" will help to determine when it was made and imported into the US. These were made in Mirecourt France as you say between around 1870-1930.  There are some people that believe that they were imported by the violin firm of Lyon and Healy.

In a 1910 catalog these were the descriptions of the Artisto model violin:

9850 - F. Breton Model in a fine red amber varnish, highly polished finish, mounted with ebony pegs, finger-board and tail-piece - $16.90

9854 - Stradivarius Model in a fine amber varnish, highly finished, mounted with ebony pegs, finger-board and tail-piece - $20.45

9856 - Stradivarius Model, in a dark brown varnish, highly polished and slightly shaded finish,  mounted with ebony pegs, finger-board and tail-piece - $24.00

9858 - Maggini Model, in a medium red amber varnish, featuring a double row of purfling, highly polished and finished, mounted with full ebony trimming - $28.45

9860 - Guarnerius Model, in a reddish amber color, highly polished and finished, ebony with gilt mounted pegs, fingerboard and tailpiece in ebony - $35.60

9862 - Stradivarius Model, in deep red color, highly polished elegant finish, featuring a fine flamed back, full ebony trimmed - $42.70

9864 - Amati Model, in a fine amber color, highly polished and finished, artistic and pronounced edges, pearl inlaid tail-piece and pegs, all ebony trimmed $42.70

9866 - Maggini Model, in a orange amber color, featuring a double row of purfling, highly polished and finished, fine flamed back, full ebony trimmed - $60.45

9868 - Stradivarius Model, in a grand pattern, of amber colored varnish, highly polished and finished, the highest grade of workmanship, beautifully flamed back, with full ebony trimming - 78.25

As your teacher mentioned, it is not in the best of shape, having suffered a serious sound post crack to the top which can really hurt the value of an instrument at this level. Obviously since I can't look at it in person, an appraisal would be as you say a guess. My guess is that this is probably the model number 9864 and if it was in better shape, it could be worth around $2000 depending on the sound. However, because of the damage, I would guess that the value would be less than $1000. I would recommend that you take it to a violin shop for an in person evaluation.

Label
Label  
side
side  
QUESTION: Hi David,

After your kind help I see I forget to tell you something that is a little misterious for me. In fact the Aristo label have superimposed another label that says Made in Germany.  And says Copy of Antonius Stradivarius Fecit in Cremona 1715. Please see the pictures.

Thanks

ANSWER: Andres
I have seen this done before with labels. Perhaps because during a certain time "German" made instruments of this level were more sought after than "French" made ones. Although I am not seeing it very well in the picture, are you sure that it says Aristo and not Artist, the T certainly appears to be in front of the I. You weren't clear if your instrument had the Fiat Musica label, or just what you researched. That will make all the difference in the world. Some of the Artist model violins, were made in the French style with an amber colored varnish. Seeing the instrument close up would be easier to evaluate the country of origin and thus better able to say for sure. Many of the Artist model instruments were made by the Lowendall firm in Markneukirchen Germany, here is one that is similar to yours - http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320937679132

Fiat Musica
Fiat Musica  

Aristo
Aristo  
QUESTION: Hello David,

Sorry for the bad picture. I'm a newby taken this kind pictures. Please see the other pictures. As well these are no pictures of the full label, but these complete the whole. Thanks again. I apreciete much your help.

Regards

Answer
Andres
Thanks for the pics, they do sinch it as an Aristo as those "eagles" and the L & H, assumed to be for Lyon and Healy, around the edge of the label define it for certain.  The "Made in Germany label is erroneous in my opinion,  so my initial findings are still good.

Violin

David Lashof