Violin/Playing with Emotion

Question
Hello Mr. Fisher. Thank you very much for answering my many questions. And this may be my last question.

An experienced pianist once told my friend that there is this dark and emotional place within you. And when you play music, you want to invite and bring the audience to that dark place.

When playing a violin or a viola, what is your opinion on how to properly express your emotions and to possibly connect with your audience?

I am thrilled to read your suggestion.

Answer
Hi Ridwan,

Certainly, there is a strong link between music and emotion.  What is the purpose of any art form, if not to make the audience feel something?   Hans Christian Anderson wrote, "Where words fail, music speaks."  Music allows us to express our emotions more eloquently than words alone will allow.  And, as a performer, one must endeavor to move one's audience - to make them feel something.  That is the joy of performing.

As for how to do that . . . You have a story to tell that is unique to you.  There is no right or wrong way to do this.  Just do it.  

Of course, mastery of the technical skills is required.  The more the player must think about how they play, the less they skilled they will be in expressing what they wish to express.  Master the skills.  Then, you will be able to say what you wish with your music.

Best of luck to you.

Jim Fisher

Violin

James S. Fisher