Violin/Salzard violin

Question
Hello David,
         I am seeking some guidance on dating and approximate pricing of my deceased fathers' violin. It has Francois Salzard written in it with what looks like feciebat Anno 17. It also has written in pencil, 61 or 67 on paper stuck down inside, very difficult to read as it is feint. At the moment i do not have photos of it but it is a rich tan colour, where the timber is worn where the chin and hand has held it, it is a honey colour.
Hope this is of some help. Can send photos when they are emailed to me if more helpful.

Answer
Hi Rose

Although I can't be 100% sure without seeing it, I am almost positive that what you have is a commercial copy from the early 1900's. Real Francois Salzard violins are labeled simply "Francois Salzard" with no date and no feciebat Anno.  He also was alive and worked only in the 1800's so any date of 17... would be wrong, he wasn't even born until 1808. Pictures might be useful, but with the commercial quality copies, condition and sound will make the most difference. When these were made, in the 1920's, they sold in the $2.50-10 price and today are usually worth from $500-1200, I see them often for sale on Ebay or Etsy in the $350-500 range. I have seen a couple of exceptional ones that were worth around $1500.  The only way to get an accurate evaluation is to have it seen in person at a violin shop or at a musical instrument auction house. I would be glad to look at photos, but I probably won't be able to narrow it down too much.

Violin

David Lashof