Violin/violin

Question
I have a Vinchenzo Miroglio 1919 violin
Fecit in Catania l' Anno. Labeled  and authenticated and valued by
Bromptoms London. I would like a us value if that is possible
Thank you so much . Mark

Answer
Hi Mark

I really can't tell you much since I can't see the instrument and that is really necessary to do an evaluation for appraisal purposes. As stated on my AE bio, I can only give an accurate answer based on the information provided, which is limited to name and year. Based on the makers name, which I am not familiar with, and there no auction results from any of the major auction houses in the last 20 years, this is obviously a much lessor known and prolific maker than many. The only value information I have seen, is from a Bromptons auction in 2010 (internet search), and that was listed for a potential sale of 1000-1300 Euro's. Values haven't really gone up much in 4 years, especially on non "historic" instruments.  Also from the pictures I have seen of this makers work, he was not a very talented maker (also from an internet search). He also seems to be better known as a guitar and mandolin maker than as a violin maker.

Based on all that information, I would suspect that a violin of his would be worth retail today in the $2500-5000 range. Because of the general lack of knowledge of this maker and his obvious low output, his instruments will be valued more based on condition and sound vs. the knowledge of who made the instrument.  Obviously if one of his instruments auctions for more, and you never know what will happen at an auction, then the value of yours may go up.

I am sorry that I can't provide more information, but there just isn't any available for this maker. An in person evaluation would really be the way to go, so that the merits of your specific instrument can be taken into account.  If you have a value from Bromptons in the last 5 years on your violin, I would just go with that, obviously translated into US dollars.  

Violin

David Lashof