Violin/violin

Question
my violin
my violin  

my violin
my violin  
My fathers old violin it was his grandmothers what do you think?

Answer
Hi Michael

I am assuming that you are asking if this could be a real Stradivari based on the information on the label.

Keep in mind that Stradivari only made around 1400 instruments and we know exactly where almost all of the surviving instruments are. It would be more likely for you to be struck by lightening twice than to find a previously unknown instrument. All of these instruments have been cataloged and if you had one, you would probably already know it from certificates and other reasons. No unknown Stradivari has been "found" in decades. However, on the off chance that one in many million of Stradivari labeled violins would turn out to be real, I always recommend to have it examined.

During the period of 1870-1930, many million "trade violins" - http://violininformation.webs.com/tradeinstruments.htm were made in Germany, Czechoslovakia and France. One of those is what you have.  I can tell this from the differences on your label to that of a real Stradivari label. Spacing of the letters, the quality of the Logo, the type style and even the paper.  In addition, the wood selection that is visible from your photo is below the grade that Stradivari used in his violins.

Many of these copies will state "Made in XXX" country, but not all and sometimes this often separate label has been removed. These instruments were always sold as copies and the original buyers knew they weren't buying a real Stradivari, these labels were inserted to show the model and to pay homage to the great Italian makers of the 17th and 18th centuries.

Some of these trade instruments can still have some value, sometimes as much as $2000 or so. It will depend on wood quality, condition and sound. To get a more accurate value assessment, you will need to have it looked at in person at a violin shop or a musical instrument auction house. They may also be able to pin down a smaller date range and country of origin.  

Violin

David Lashof