Violin/Cleaning Bow Hair

Question
Hi, David!

My question is:  How, and what's the best technique/solution for cleaning violin bow hairs.  I've seen a couple of videos on youtube.  Some use mild soap, and some use rubbing alcohol.  I've seem videos disputing each others techniques/solutions.  WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST, AND SAFEST WAY TO CLEAN BOW HORSE HAIR AND HOW OFTEN?  IF SOAP, OR ALCOHOL, WHAT KIND/BRAND? GIVE ME THE RUNDOWN.

Thanks,

Eddie Hodges
Philadelphia, PA  USA

Answer
Hi Eddie

The safest way is not to wash the hair. I'm not a big fan of cleaning bow hair, often, by the time it needs cleaning, the hair is in need of replacing. As hair ages (off the horse) it dries out and gets brittle, this is evident in bows that have been sitting for some time.

Alcohol will further dry out the hair and great care must be taken not to get it on the stick. Although most decent bows have no varnish, they can be French polished or just waxed, the alcohol can harm that finish. This is really only accomplished by removing the frog from the stick and allowing it to dangle. This can cause another issue of getting the hair tangled which can take some serious time and rack your brain trying to straighten out. If you do wash the hair, you also have to be careful not to get the wooden plugs in either end wet, or the plug will fail.  Trying to use a mild soap can lead to soap residue left on the hair making it very difficult to get the rosin to stick.

With either method you are wetting the hair which can cause the hair to shrink or stretch depending on the time of the year. Sometimes the hair can change unevenly, some stretching while others shrink - usually a problem with cheap hair. When the bow is initially haired, the hair is wet and let to dry naturally before the length is finalized.  If it changes too far in either direction, the hair could be so tight that it won't fit back on the stick, if too loose, it may not be able to be tightened. To me the only possible solution is to just use a comb and run it through the hair.  If there is some caked on grime, this may sometimes be removed by pinching and rolling the hairs between your clean fingers.

If you wash your hands before playing, the hair should not get too dirty by the time it is in need of fresh hair. If you play a lot and haven't broken too many hairs, then it may just need to be rehaired because of loss of playing qualities. The sound will get an airy-whispery quality to it when old and will be hard to rosin. If a lot of hairs have broken, even if the hair is relatively new, the loss in hair could result in the tension being pulled more to one side than straight.  This can cause warping to the stick and seriously effect the way the bow performs.

So in the end, it is possible to do more damage than good not saving any money or time and possibly doing some real monetary damage to the stick. The only way I can ever recommend this is to someone that is very far from a violin shop making it a true hardship. Obviously the finding of a good local violin shop is not the issue for you since you live in Philadelphia. Depending on how much you play, a rehair should be performed no longer than about every 2 years and I have had a number of clients where I installed new hair every 2-3 months.

Violin

David Lashof