Violin/Purfling

David Lashof - Violin All Expert wrote at 2014-11-20 15:54:47
Just to add to the answer, besides the cheap factory instruments. there were some early violin makers that didn't use purfling, especially on the hard maple back.  The earliest maker I'm aware of who often left it off is G.B. Rogeri, in the late 1600s. Testore family makers also often left it off of the back, as did many English makers of the 1700s. So, as you can see, this was done not only on cheap factory violins, but ones that are considered very fine violins today (valued over $100,000).

Violin

James S. Fisher