Violin/woodplugged hole in violin.

Question
Hello,  I once read in a recent (Aug.,Sept. 2014) article in the Strings magazine. It quested plugged holes in violins.  The responder had no answer.  The violin showed wood plugged holes located on the side (ribs), near the tailpiece button, and in back of the scroll.  I just bought a violin which has the same kind of plugged hole in the top center area of the back (right before the neckpiece starts.  What is this. Why was a hole ever their. It seems as if the hole(s) was drill, and plugged back by a wooded peg. The peg doesn't stick out.  It fit (may be filed) at the level of the violin's exterior. This specific violin doesn't have any label in the body.  I don't know any thing about.  I bought it used from a music instrument.  They have me a good price because the know nothing of the violin neither.

Answer
Amati Pin
Amati Pin  

Sap Pocket
Sap Pocket  
Hi Eddie

I'm not sure I understand the location and look of the plugs, a picture would be really useful in this case.  There are some reasons why pieces of wood are inserted in one of the parts.  The violin is a fragile instrument and holes and cracks can be a common form of damage. A crack can almost always be glued, but a hole will usually need to be filled in with new wood for it to look decent. Another reason for filling in wood, especially on the top, is for a sap pocket. As the top is made from spruce, it is susceptible to sap that forms in a pocket and never drains out when the wood dries. This pocket is often in the middle of the wood and doesn't become visible until a lot of labor has already been put in.  So instead of starting over, the maker will cut out the wood and insert a new wood plug.  Some makers also replace small knots in the maple for similar reasons.  Although with the maple, the knot is only a visual issue an not a sound issue like it can be on the spruce. Many of the great Italian makers used maple that had knots and they just left them as is. Small round holes filled in on the scroll or by the end button could be from filling in screw holes from a previous poor quality repair. But without actually seeing the plugs, there is no way no say why they are there.

If the ones on your violin are up by the button and are fairly small, round and just a few millimeters or less in diameter, they are probably registration pins. On many instruments these are almost invisible while others they are made with contrasting wood and are very obvious. These are holes that the maker drills through the top or back into the block during the craving process so that when they go to glue the parts together, they line up easier for gluing. I have attached pictures of both a sap pocket repair and a registration pin.  

Violin

David Lashof