Violin/wound E string vs unwound E string

Question
When attempting faster passages on the E string what are differences in playability plain vs wound?  I'm using plain E strings at the present. I had a wound E once that was tough to beat soundwise but I wasn't the technical player then as I am now.  Will a wound E slow playing progress any?  And, if you know, how many extra pounds of force would be added to the belly/bridge area if I choose a wound E vs plain?

Answer
Your choice of strings is almost always certainly a subjective one. I have never heard that a wound string exerts additional force on the violin, compared to a solid string. Really the only way to settle the matter is to put a few different strings on your instrument and decide for yourself. Approach your violin in the spirit of experimentation. This is always the most rewarding approach. Good luck!

Violin

Bill Alpert