Dave Lashof - Violin All-Expert wrote at 2014-12-12 21:49:41
The violin certainly appears to be from the late 1800's to the early 1900's and is probably French based on it's appearance and the copie de on the label. The case is actually made by GSB, not G&B. and was made by "George S. Bond", a manufacturer of cases in Charlestown. He was born there in 1837.  In 1880 he bought out the violin case factory that had been established in Charlestown and it eventually became the biggest factory in the US.

James S. Fisher

Please Note: For an accurate appraisal of your instrument's value or history, I must advise you to take it to a local luthier or string shop for an evaluation. It's really not possible to do this with any accuracy via email.

However, I am happy to answer other questions about violins, bows, violin playing, and violin/bow repair. I can also talk with you about what bows, rosin, strings, cases, shoulder rests, etc. might work best for you and your particular instrument. (There are some great new products on the market.) I've taught violin and fiddle playing for the past 18 years and will answer questions about playing and technique.

I've been studying the violin for over thirty years. I started teaching in 1996. In addition to my training at Lebanon Valley College and at the Violin Institute, I handle violins, bows, and customer questions of all sorts on a daily basis in my shop - J.S. Fisher Violins,

I hold a Bachelor of Music degree from Lebanon Valley College, as well as certificates in violin repair, violin maintenance, and bow rehairing from the Violin Institute at the University of New Hampshire.