Violin/Old Violin

Question
Violin front in case
Violin front in case  

Violin Back
Violin Back  
David, I was given an old violin from my uncle.  He acquired it from someone in the 40's and it was old when he got it.  There are not any dates or markings on the violin itself.  However, the case is made in the US by Lifton.  There are some old strings on the case and the packages are labeled, blue comet.

Answer
Hi Robert

The brand of the case his nothing to do with the violin it may contain, however, in this case I think both are from the same era. The Lifton Mfg. Co. was established in 1918 and this style case with the zippered interior cloth cover closure like yours was first seen in advertisements in 1924 when the patent was applied for.

The violin appears to be from the early 1900's but made in Germany or Czechoslovakia.  Given the quality of the pictures, I really can't tell you much more and an in person evaluation will be needed to get an accurate appraisal. Given the number of repaired cracks on the top of the violin and the basic quality of the instrument, I wouldn't expect it to have much monetary value, probably under $500.  

Violin

David Lashof