Violin/violin

Question
back of case
back of case  

violin
violin  
my husband ran across this violin an case in his father's things after he passed .It has the sticker inside copie de antonius stradiuarius cremonenfis faciebat anno 1721 .It has the x over top of the a&s . In the case the trade mark is g&b witch is stamped on the back it has a glasser bow with it also in the case someone wrote second hand violin 1894 we have done some research but come up with only the real ones .we know nothing about violins we was just wanting to know what you think of it

Answer
Hi Sheila,

Thanks for your question.  I'm afraid I can't tell you much without seeing the violin.  The label is telling you that this is a copy of a 1721 Strad.  There are thousands (perhaps millions) of such labels in student instruments.  The case is a cheap, generic, and ubiquitous brand that may or may not have come with the original instrument.   

I'm sorry to say that the violin is unlikely to be worth anything at auction.  There are some factory imports of this type that are worth up to a few hundred dollars - even up to $1,000 or so.  But, from the photo, this does not appear to be one of them.  

Still, if you play or know someone who plays, it could be worth fixing.  Wood improves, tonally, with age.  So, if this happens to be fairly old, and if it happened to be a decent model to begin with, and if it is not in too bad a shape now, then you may end up with a very playable instrument.  You'd have to take it to a violin shop to get it appraised and checked for damage.  At the very least, it will need new strings and a proper setup.  They should be able to tell you whether or not that is worth doing with this instrument.

Best of luck with it.

Jim Fisher

Violin

James S. Fisher