Violin/Antonio Strad violins

Question
Hi, I was looking online for some violins, and found the "Antonio Strad violins". Do you know if they are good quality violins? Particularly I would like to know about these two:
http://www.stradviolin.com/store/store.php/products/model-180-violin
http://www.stradviolin.com/store/store.php/products/model-5h-violin
Many thanks,

Answer
Hi

I don't know if I can help you much with this. These instruments are both private labels, what that means is that the violin shop has purchased these instruments from the manufacturer and then inserted their own private label.  

This insures several things:
  The average person can't compare it price or quality wise to other violins since you don't know what it really is. That's good for the violin store, not so much for the buyer.
  Since the instrument doesn't have it's original label, how do you know where it was actually made.
  Resale will be much more difficult because the new buyer won't be able to find out anything about the instrument.

I tell you this because, I suspect at least the second instrument to be Chinese, possibly made by Eastman Strings. Now there is nothing wrong with that since there are some very good Chinese instruments and Eastman is one of the best, but it would be nice to know.

They both appear to be ok, but pictures really don't tell much of the story. As no two violins of the same brand/model will sound the same, even knowing a brand name is fairly useless as the instrument could have a good or a bad sound. By relabeling, it also has the added effect that other people like me can't give even the smallest advice without seeing the instrument in person.  

I would recommend borrowing the two instruments from the store (if they don't offer that service, find another store) and take them to your teacher for an evaluation of their sound.  As far as on line stores go, I would recommend Shar, Fein or Sullivan Violins.  They also have private labels, but they have a proven track record of quality products at a good price, you can also talk to them about what you need.  I know Andy Fein and Ken Sullivan personally.  

Violin

David Lashof