Violin/Stradivarius violin?

Question
label
label  
Top
Top  
QUESTION: Dear Mr. Lashof,

I have an old violin with the following label:

Antonius Straduarius Cremona
faciebat Anno 1743  [and a symbol to the right of the date]

The bottom of the label is cut off and some partial letters can be seen. I don't see any other markings on anything - just the label inside the violin. The year “1743” is hand written. The case is wood and looks very old.

I’ve been wondering about it for many years, so I’m glad that I found “AllExperts.com”. Can you tell what the violin is, and if its worth anything?  If not, I’d like to throw it out since its been in my closet for a very long time.

Thanks,
John
Ps. I have additional photos of the f hole, scroll, back, neck and case if needed.

ANSWER: Hi John

What I can tell you with 100% certainty, is that the violin is not a real Stradivari but instead is a copy, probably German, made in the early 1900's - most likely after 1914. A number of clues are on the label itself.
1 - the paper is post 1850, 2 - they forgot the first "i" in Stradiuarius, 3 - he always used the Italian spelling of his city "Cremonenfis", 4 - He died in 1737. In addition, the workmanship, the wood and varnish (that I can see), is not of the quality of a real one.  I think what was cut off on the label is the part that says "Made in Germany" - I think you can see the top of the "M "in "Made" under the "o" in "Anno".

As far as value goes, I really can't see enough in pictures to be very accurate. Instruments of this type - what are referred to as "Trade Instruments", can have a value from almost nothing to about $2000. Yours is probably somewhere in the $600-1200 range. This value within that range is based on a number of things, wood quality, craftsmanship, condition and sound - most of which I can't tell from pictures.  What I can tell is it needs lots of repairs: New pegs, bridge, strings, nut, saddle, lots and lots of cosmetic work (and it could need lots that I can't see). Some of these instruments can still have a very nice sound. Obviously you need to weigh the cost to restore against the potential value.  I would certainly not throw it out, if you don't want to deal with it, donate it to a school or someplace.

I would recommend that you take it to a violin shop for a personal evaluation, they will be able to give you a value and the cost to restore it.   

QUESTION: I want to thank you and AllExperts.com for identifying this violin for me. It's been puzzling me for 23 years so your answer is appreciated very much.

I’d like to see if a local music school or someplace else would want it as a donation. It would be great to show students what a replica Stradivari violin “Trade Instrument” looks like, and of course they could restore and use it if they wish. I'll be happy to refer them to AllExperts.com and specifically to your analysis of this violin.

Would you have any advice on how to approach a school or music school on this matter, and also what the “someplace else’s” might be?

Thank you very much!
John
Ps. Now that I have experience using AllExperts.com I won’t hesitate to see what other historic items I may want to get an opinion on, and will also refer my friends to the site.

Answer
Hi again

As I don't know what type of groups are in your area I will be just guessing. Just tell them you want to make a donation, tell them it needs work, but most likely it will be a much better quality of instrument than the cost to repair it. Check out music schools (ask some violin teachers in the area- maybe through a music or violin store), some violin stores are very in tune to the needs of local schools youth orchestras (they often will have deserving musicians that need a better instrument, the local high schools.  There are also charities that take instrument donations. One that I am familiar with is the Mr. Hollands Opus Foundation - http://www.mhopus.org/  After hurricane Katrina, my shop helped to organize an instrument drive, we collected over 200 instruments.  We restored them and donated them to the schools in New Orleans.  I'm not sure if they take instruments that need work, but you can always contact them.

Violin

David Lashof