Violin/Pre-Civil War F.A. Glass Violin

Question
Expert: Jim Fisher - 3/1/2013
PICT0139copy
PICT0139copy  
QUESTION: Hi my name is Robert I asked a question the other day about my violins signature unfortunately you could not read the name. I have finally figured it out . I come up with F.A.Glass.du the du could be de its very small and hard to read. This was owned by my wife's grandfather when he was a boy which would have been around 1900 as my wife is 60. Any info? Is it worth fixing? It has a one piece very curly back. Thank you Robert Jarrel

ANSWER: Hi Robert,
Thanks for your question. Friedrich August Glass II was a well-respected German maker of the mid 19th century. Instruments actually made by him sell in the low thousands, depending on the original quality of the instrument (he made a wide range) and the current condition. However, there were many instruments produced in his shop that bear his label, but were not made by him. These are worth less, although many of them are still fine instruments.

There are also instruments bearing his name on the label that are simply cheap factory copies. From the little I can see from the picture, I'm inclined to think that yours is one of these. The quality of the wood and varnish, along with the unusual decoration at the edges, leads me to think that this is a factory instrument.

However, I really can't tell you much for certain without having the instrument in my hands. I would recommend that you make an appointment at a respected violin shop in your area to have its value and condition appraised. If possible, try to find someone with experience appraising older violins.

Best of luck!
Jim Fisher

The above question was sent to Jim Fisher 3-1-2013.
I have a violin almost identical to the one Robert asked about also signed F.A. Glass.de or .du on the inside of the violin. This violin has been in the family since before the civil war. Have you found out any added information on these violins, is it fake or real. Thank You, Gregory

ANSWER: Hi Gregory

The only thing that I can add to what Jim has said is that if your violin is truly pre Civil War, it could have been made by either Freidrich August Glass I or II. However. I have never seen a real one with the name F A Glass but rather always Freid. Aug. Glass.  I have seen copies with the name of F A Glass.  Even if it were to be a real one, the most one has auctioned for is $3000 while the rest have sold for under $1000. I would also like to say that it is really not possible to determine the maker of an instrument from a photograph, especially one that is not of a very good quality or clarity.  You need to take the instrument to a violin shop where it can be evaluated close up and in person.  So much more is looked at than just a rough look at the instrument.

Letter and Inscription
Letter and Inscription  

Violin Daily Journal Tupalo, Mississippi
Violin Daily Journal T  
QUESTION: Thank you so much for your reply. You said in your reply that you had never seen real violins with the name F A Glass;I am sending you pics of the name inside the violin, copy of a letter written to my cousin and aunt, and a copy of a newspaper article.Elija was born 1840, so the violin was obtained some time before his birth. I am not interested in the worth of the violin, just want to know closer to when this violin was made and who made it.
Thank you,
Gregory

Answer
Hi again Gregory

The signature is exactly the same as some of the copies that I have seen, some of which had the name branded on the back of the instrument below the neck button.  Yours could also be a brand as I can't see a paper label but the picture isn't very good so it is hard to tell. Not that I think this is the case, but instruments have been known to have been switched over the years and family lore has a way of getting mixed up from generation to generation. I will assume though for our conversation, that the instrument you possess is the one from the early to mid 1800's. The documentation that you have, although nice for your family history, doesn't really mean anything in the validation of who made the instrument. There were copies made of makers works soon after the first ones were turned out.  Stradivari copies exist from the mid 1700's only a few years after his death. I have seen Glass copies from the early 1800's.  As I said before, and Jim said it to the other questioner, the only way to get an evaluation of an instrument is in person, but certainly I can't do anything without quality photos of the instrument.  Even if you had papers of authenticity from a major violin or auction house, they would still need to be accompanied by the instrument that they are referring to.  You certainly won't get that type of paper on a Glass since the cost of the paper would be more expensive than the instrument.  A regular appraisal would give you an opinion on the instrument, but that is still not a certificate of authenticity, which includes professional photographs. So to get an idea of who made and when your violin was made, the only way I would recommend to do it is to have it seen in person at a violin shop that does appraisals.  If it turns out to be a copy, there will be no way to know who made it, but an estimate of when it was made could be given.

I certainly wish you luck in your quest for more information, but from what I have been given thus far, my opinion is that it is one of the copies.

Violin

David Lashof