Violin/violin

Question
Recently i came across a violin at a pawn shop for 35 dollars. I have not been able to test the violin or check the brand yet, but the violin has a spot the size of a quarter of missing varnish, and stain somehow, on the scroll. The violin also needs a fingerboard and nut replacement. The main reason why this violin stuck out to me, was because of it having violin "machine heads" instead of pegs.
Based on what i have said, what would be the repair cost of the violin, and what should i look for before i purchase it.
Thank you very much,
Corey

Answer
Hi Corey

Obviously without seeing the instrument I am at a bit of a disadvantage and there could certainly be addition needs. A new fingerboard and nut will be in the $250-500 range.  The range is that different stores and regions charge different amounts, it may be even higher in places like New York City. With a new fingerboard a new bridge will be needed, so expect $50-150. The touch-up to the scroll could be very reasonable or run into the hundreds.

If you think you want to change the gears back to pegs, that could be all over the place in price depending on why the gears were originally installed. Some instruments from around 1900 had them installed when new, others had them installed because the scroll cracked off and this provided a structurally better solution to pegs. On some occasions, these gears were installed because the player could not use the pegs for some reason, either from difficulty with gripping the pegs properly or because they were unable to have them properly maintained to fit and turn smoothly.  This often happened when the instrument was being used in a region that was extremely far from a decent repair shop. So it could cost $100 to well over a thousand. Two other issue that I have seen with some of the violins that have had geared pegs, 1)the plastic parts on the pegs (the heads) may now be 100+ years old and are very brittle. 2) often the instruments that have these gears are the lower grade instruments and some of the internal structure of the instrument - the blocks, linings and bass bar, are sometimes omitted or of poor quality. Thus adding even more to the repair cost.

It is really difficult to tell you what to look for.  Obviously look to see if the scroll or for that matter any other place on the instrument has suffered any cracks. You never know if they were properly repaired, especially when buying through a place like a pawn shop.

Violin

David Lashof