Violin/Fingerboard repair

Question
Hello,

I bought a violin over the internet, yes I know not a great idea, to say the least, let's just say it was an "impulse" buy.  It was about $600 and of course the pictures looked really nice.  When I finally saw it in person, it looked like it needed a bit of "cleanup" work.  I took it to a local luthier who wanted to do a bunch of work - all of it I think needed - replace the fingerboard, reduce the neck angle, fix the pegs, ...  He said it looked like a German factory made violin from the 1920s maybe, and that with this work, which would be about $500, it would probably sound as good as a $1000 - $1,500 violin so I said ok.  Well after taking the fingerboard off he found by looking through the end button hole, that the bass bar was loose and that he would need to take the top off toe repair and so the repair cost would be closer to $800, which was a bit over the limit of what the potential of the instrument.  So I said forget it.  I still got charged $70 for the work done (I didn't complain about that but probably should have).  Anyway now I have a violin with no fingerboard or nut, he said the fingerboard was already "split", like it was it two laminated layers or something - I can't recall exactly what it looked like beforehand unfortunately - but that anyway the fingerboard and nut were kind of ruined in the taking off process so he threw them away.  I still think he should have kept them around to show me, but I didn't complain.

Well finally my question - I'd like to try and repair the fingerboard myself, since I already have "sunk" so much into the violin and at least try to get something out of it, an instrument to play (I'm currently using a student violin but need something better).  I called the same guy and he said $170 to fit a new fingerboard, the parts - fingerboard and nut - are $70 and the rest is labor.  So, I'm wondering if it's feasible to buy the parts, somewhere else that's cheaper if possible, and try to put the fingerboard on myself?   Again, I'm all for the professionals doing it, but if I can save some further investment at this point and still get a decent playing instrument out I might go for it.

Answer
Hi Robert
If you have the woodworking skills and a good and super sharp block plane, you can do a fingerboard yourself.  Fingerboards come as blanks and are much too thick, too long and too wide, all allowing for adjustment to the specific instrument and because wood warps over the years, so that may need to be corrected. A quality blank fingerboard is around $30-40 and you can certainly buy one from some place like International Violin in Baltimore. Don't get one of their $12 fingerboards as the wood grain is very low quality and you will certainly have difficulties. Nuts are really cheap and again come as blanks, you will need a very fine file to do the grooves.

Violin

David Lashof