Violin/Stradavarious Violin

Question
Violin
Violin  
QUESTION: I have a Stradavarious Model Violin that was made around late 1800 - early 1900. I've sent off pictures and it was estimated to have been made in Germany, but they could not give me any more information unless seeing it themselves. I know that he had people working for him that also made these violins. My Great Grandfather remodeled this one. Question is, how do I find a reputable expert to give me more information on my particular violin? I can't seem to find anyone who knows anything..

ANSWER: Hi Rachel
I agree with the information that you have already received that this is a late 1800's - early 1900's German factory violin - they are referred to as "trade instruments".  It has no connection to any actual Stradivari instrument (he died in 1737 and never left Italy), it was only labeled as a Stradivari to signify its model in the original catalog that it was advertised in.  There are literally millions of these copies out there (7. Many are worth almost nothing while some can be worth up to around $2000. From what little I can see in the grainy picture attached, I would estimate that it has a value of less than $1000, and depending on what your Great Grandfather did to it, that could have effected the value.

You did not mention where in Florida you live, I might be able to recommend someone to take it to.  But first, you should just Google your town and "violin shop" to see if there's one near by.  Any violin shop will be able to assist you with this. In the Orlando or Melbourne area there is Atlantic Strings.

QUESTION: I'm in Lakeland. I've googled "Violin Shop" and "Violin Makers" in my area but always come back with nothing. I'm wanting to have it restored, but was not sure exactly where to start. My Great Grandfather was the one who labeled it. I actually remember watching him play it when I was a small child..

Answer
Rachel
Your best bet is to go to Atlantic Strings in Orlando, they will be able to help with both an accurate appraisal and to restore the instrument if you still decide that is what you want to do.
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=216229086252962669886.0004babb8df71454c7c78&msa=0&ll=28.55437,-81.367149&spn=0.2316,0.22625&dg=feature
There is also the Tampa Violin shop - http://www.violinshoptampa.com/

Violin

David Lashof