Violin/Who was the violin maker?

Question
printed label
printed label  
violin f design
violin f design  
QUESTION: I was advised that this copy of a Jacobus Stainer violin was made in the mid 1700's in Nordhausen, Germany.  While the name of the maker could not be recalled at the time, I was told I could determine the name by the "f" holes.  Can you tell me who made this violin?  Also, please correct any misinformation I have.

ANSWER: Hi
I'm not sure if I can be of much help. I never heard of any before and I could only find 3 violin makers in my database of over 20,000 from the town of Nordhausen, and none of those are really well known or whose work is easily recognizable. The picture of the f hole could be hundreds if not thousands of different makers.  I do agree that from what little I can see, that it is German and is a Stainer model copy, but without seeing it better, I could not say if it is 1700's or early to mid 1800's.   I doubt anyone could tell who made this instrument just from photographs and I would seriously question anyone that claims they could do that. You really need to have it looked at in person as there is so much that can't be seen in photographs.  A makers work is not just the "f" hole shape or other general outline, but the subtleties of arching, fine details of the purfling, thicknesses, varnish texture and depth of field and so much more, none of which shows in a picture. Even interior construction style can help with identification of country, town, age and even an individual makers workmanship. Even seeing an instrument in person and having it to examine for hours or even days is sometimes not enough, there are many many instruments that will never be identified, and with with lessor known makers, it even becomes harder.  

I would take it to a violin shop for an in person evaluation.  

bow view 1
bow view 1  

bow view 2
bow view 2  
QUESTION: Thank you for your help on the violin.  The appraiser seemed as much interested in the bow, which seems not much different than other bow pictures I have seen on the internet.  Is there something about my pictures that is important?

Answer
The bow has a few earmarks of a couple of different well known makers work. One being that of Vuillaume. The rounded edges of the frog and the round recess that the frog sits in on the stick.  The bow is also Sterling Silver mounted which is used on better bows. However, none of that is certain, Vuillaume usually stamped his name on the bows, many copies exist even using those styles, some of which are worth very little.  So again, have it looked at more closely.  Sometimes it works out that a violin may not be worth much when the bow can be worth many thousands of dollars. This is not too uncommon with instruments made in the 1870's -1920's when many famous bow makers got their start and supplied bows before they were well respected makers, and there is nothing that says that this bow is as old as your violin.  

Violin

David Lashof