Violin/Violin Appraisal

Question
Marchi Violin Front
Marchi Violin Front  

Marchi Violin Back
Marchi Violin Back  
Hello,

I've recently acquired a violin that I believe to be a Giovanni Marchi, although I'm finding conflicting information, so I was hoping that you'd be able to help me.

The violin is in excellent condition, although there were 4 cracks that have been expertly repaired...2 on the bottom of the f-holes, 1 on the top front that runs parallel to the fingerboard & 1 on the back bottom in the middle.  

The inside label reads, "Joannes Antonius Marchi Fecit Bononiĉ Anno 1778."

I've attached pictures of the front & back of the violin, if you'd like more, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thank you,
Seth

Thank you.

Answer
Hi Seth

A quick cursory glance does make me think of Marchi.  However after looking at it more carefully, as best I can given the quality of the pictures (they get very blurry when I try to enlarge them), there is very little that resembles the 2 Marchi instruments that I have seen and could reference through my archives. The f's, scroll, where the registration pins are placed and even the varnish aren't the same.  I would like to have been able to see the purfling and corners better, but that wasn't possible.

FYI, there were 2 Marchi violin makers with the same exact name, and based on the date of yours, it would have to be the second one (the son), who died in 1807 I beleive.

As always it is best to have the instrument looked at in person as there are always things that can't be seen in any quality of photograph.

Violin

David Lashof