Violin/Trying to find more information on a violin

Question
Front
Front  

Back
Back  
Hello,

I purchased a violin about 7 years ago.  The label on the inside says "Vittori Rossi Ano 2005."  Underneath that it states "Handmade for Peter Zaret and Sons violins."  I have attempted to contact them for more information but have not received a response and just stumbled across this site so thought I would try here.  Originally I paid 3500.00 for this in 2006 or 2007.  The only appraiser is about an hour and a half away from where I live so I'm just trying to get some initial information first.  Are you able to tell anything about this violin based off the label/pictures?  I am considering trying to resell it and upgrade since I am playing a lot more now, however, I have no idea where to start.

Thank You

Answer
Hi Josh

"Handmade for....." When shops do this it makes it very difficult to evaluate an instrument. Without a maker to attribute the work too, it becomes a "trade instrument" of sorts, meaning that it was farmed out to some cottage industry and may or may not have been made by one maker. These instruments tend to lose a portion of their value right away and take a while to recoup, certainly this instrument is in the level of not having recouped it's original cost. You may get a higher value from Zaret, but unless he is willing to buy it, it isn't a real value. When an independent value is obtained, make sure it is a "Fair Market Value" appraisal unless all you want to do is to insure it. I would certainly check with the store that you purchased it from, as they are the ones that will often give the biggest trade in value, often as much as 100%. Given the limited amount that I can gather from the pictures and the information supplied, I would estimate it's current value more like $2000-2500. Obviously when seen in person that could be adjusted either way.

Peter Zaret is considered by many professionals in the field to be a little unorthodox in some of his ideas of sound. He was never trained as a maker and many makers say that the work that he does is very rough.  I don't take sides, just reporting the concerns. I have no idea if this instrument was subjected to his altering of traditional ideas, specifically of the bass bar, but that could effect the value given by others that evaluate the instrument and thus also its trade in value.

I certainly would recommend an in person evaluation before you decide anything.

Violin

David Lashof