Violin/Violin Bow

Question
QUESTION: I have a violin bow with the name Tourte stamped on the side of the bow beneath the frog and the initials B & G stamped on the bow close to the adjustment cap.  It has Mother of Pearl inlay on the top of the frog and the two round inlays on either side of the frog.  It is approximately 8 3/4 inches long. It is in excellent condition, except for no strings and no adjustment cap.
Does it have any value?
Best regards,
Robert

ANSWER: Hi Robert

The Tourte name has been stamped on as many bows as the name Stradivari has been inserted in violins. They typically have a fairly low value, usually under $100 and some are completely worthless. The B & G stamp was probably a dealer who sold the bow, there was a B&G violin case company. I am not familiar with that stamp on bows, but it is not associated with any real Tourte bow. Most Tourte bows were unstamped or depending on the maker (there were 4) had a first initial with the last name.  I assume you meant 28 3/4" not 8 3/4". A standard full size bow is around 28 3/4", an 8" bow is not usable. They only way to know what quality it is, would be to take it to a violin shop for an evaluation, the stamped name means little.  Since it needs to be repaired anyway, it will need to go to the violin shop for that, so they can tell you what the repaired value would be.

QUESTION: Thank you Mr. Lashof for your prompt reply.  There were a couple of corrections I did not catch.  The bow is 28 3/4 inches long and the initials stamped are B & J on the bow.  Also on the bow in front of the
frog is an x1111 that appears to be cut into the bow and not stamped.  It is only visible if the frog is removed.

Best regards,
Robert

Answer
Robert

Buegeleisen & Jacobson (B & J) was a well known importer of mostly German factory string instruments and bows from the early 1900's. In a 1912 catalog of theirs, there are 5 different Tourte model bows that sold for $1.00-$15.00. The other markings on the bow were to keep the parts straight. In the factory setting, a bow maker would be working on multiple bows and the marks on the stick would typically match marks on the underside of the frog.

Violin

David Lashof