Violin/Violin info

Question
How can I identify a violins history like its maker and info of its model ? If it doesn't have any significant markings ?

Answer
Without a label, there really is no easy way to start over the internet, and sometimes no makers name can be associated with an instrument even when examined close up. Labels are also more often false than real, so it is only a direction sometimes, but a good appraiser won't even look at the label until they have made some conclusions on the make of the instrument.  There are probably 100,000 violin makers so no appraiser can know all of the makers. Many of those makers have never been documented, there are also many thousands of factory/copy models with tens of millions of those instruments in use.

Any violin shop should be able to get things rolling. It is easy for a trained appraiser to determine if the instrument was mass produced or was made by an individual maker. Although it is easy to do, it is near impossible to describe to a novice. It is learned through years of training the eyes having seen thousands of instruments as well as the comparison between the real and the fake.  Much of this is learned through working with master appraisers and violin shops where thousands of instruments pass through the doors.  

So Google violin shops in your region and look at their web sites to determine what their qualifications are.

Violin

David Lashof