Violin/old violin

Question
I have a real old violin it is not in good shape it was my great grandfathers.The front looks as tho it has been sanded no varnish or stain on it The chin rest has Beckers model chin rest it is a small rest black in color.The back of violin has a design with white shiny shells .Do you have any idea as to how old it would be ? It has no markings or labels.My granny was born in 1900 it was her dads. The bow has no markings either nor does the case .Thanks

Answer
Hi Leona

Given the very limited information that you have provided with no pictures, the only thing that I can say is that your violin sounds like it could be one of the many thousands of "fancy" violins produced between 1880-1920.  That fits with your timeline. The chin rest has no bearing on the violin, it is just an accessory. The Becker model was patented in 1904 and has changed over the years, it is still available today, although I don't believe it has been marked with the model name since the 1950's.  These fancy instruments came in many different varieties and were made in Germany, France or Czechoslovakia by firms that employed many different makers either in house or in cottage industries in the surrounding region. These instruments are called "trade instruments" and were illustrated in catalogs during that time period. Many of these instruments were sold by various violin shops and even through the Sears catalog. Some are better than others but they tend to have values in the $250-1000 range as they are more suited for display purposes than as instruments for musicians. The reason for this is that the inlay of materials tends to hurt the sound of the instruments and frequently on these inlayed instruments the wood is left thicker so that the inlay will be more stable.

The only way to get a better sense of the instrument is to have it seen in person at a violin shop where it can be properly evaluated.  Even with pictures or an in person evaluation, nothing more accurate may be obtained. As I said these were almost always factory made, often with no reference to which factory.  If an exact match could be found in a catalog, that may only say what firm might have imported it, and not the firm that actually made it.  Most trade instruments have false or misleading labels, if they are labeled at all.  Hopefully you would at least come out with an approximate date and country of origin. Because of the damage to the varnish, I suspect that the instrument no longer has any actual monetary value.

More on trade instruments - http://violininformation.webs.com/tradeinstruments.htm
More on factory Instruments from Germany Czechoslovakia and France - http://violininformation.webs.com/germanfactoryviolins.htm

Violin

David Lashof