Violin/Strad copy 1721 france JTL

Question
violin
violin  
QUESTION: I have a Strad violin copy 1721 France, Initials on the label below a Harp like symbol say JTL. Its in fair condition I would say. The bridge has a stamp on it that says Aubert with a star like symbol above it. I received this violin from a bandmate of my dads when I was like 5 years old. wondering if its worth anything?

ANSWER: Hi Jennifer

JTL - Jerome Thibouville Lamy, was a huge firm in France that produced hundreds of thousands of violins in many different models, mostly between 1870-1930, the age of your violin fits in this range, (They peaked at an annual production of over 150,000 instruments). Here is a partial list of the models - http://www.jtlamy.co.uk/catalogue.htm  The Lyre symbol, also on this page, with the JTL initials was typical for them, but not on all of their instruments.  They had dozens of different models from the very, very cheap, to some that were very decent.  I really can't tell which model yours is, but it looks to be on the lower end of the range and also in need of lots of repair work, at least cosmetically, which is what I can see.  I suspect that the repairs may cost close to the value that could be reached once repaired.  Some of these instruments can still have a nice sound and I would still recommend you take it to be seen at a violin shop where both the quality and the cost of repairs can be evaluated in person. The stamp on the bridge is useless as bridges are often changes as often as tires on a car.

label
label  

label
label  
QUESTION: Mr. Lashof,
Thank you for quick response! I noticed that the other labels ive seen online are different than mine. And I have 2 differntlabels. first one says Copie de Antonious Stradiuarius Cremonenfis faciebat Anno 1721 with the circle symbol w the AS in it and a cross and then another symbol stamp that says trademark harp with violin on it that says deposee underneath, other label says Made in france with the harp symbol by itself and the initials JTL underneath.

Ive managed to get a couple of pictures of the label, if you wouldn't mind taking a look. Apologies if I get the same response. feel a need for a double check, tahnk you for your time!

Answer
There are a number of different JTL logos and some don't even have the harp or even say they are from JTL. The Made in France dates the violin to post 1921, the deposee really just means "made by", so that doesn't help although it was mostly only used on a few of the lower models.

Violin

David Lashof