Violin/Bausch violin

I'm interested in knowing a rough estimate for a violin made by Otto Bausch. It appears to be in good condition. I know Otto was born 1841 and died around 1874 or 75. He took over business in 1871 so I'm really guessing he made it between 1860 and 1870. I think I read that he only made about 60 instruments. According to what I read, the quality is nothing to write home about. I'm thinking the wood used was pretty decent though. It does have a nice flamed back.
Have you ever played one or heard about the quality? I know just because it's old, doesn't make it a good instrument.
Thanks for any input !

Hi John,

Thanks for your question.  I don't know anything about this maker, other than what I've read (and I assume you've read) on the internet.  I do see several auction records from Bromptons and Tarisio which list sales for about $800, $900, and $1400 US dollars.  Of course, much will depend on the particular instrument and the condition.  I'd recommend making an appointment with a reputable appraiser to get it checked out.  Sorry that I'm not more help.

Best of luck!
Jim Fisher

J.S. Fisher Violins

James S. Fisher

Please Note: For an accurate appraisal of your instrument's value or history, I must advise you to take it to a local luthier or string shop for an evaluation. It's really not possible to do this with any accuracy via email.

However, I am happy to answer other questions about violins, bows, violin playing, and violin/bow repair. I can also talk with you about what bows, rosin, strings, cases, shoulder rests, etc. might work best for you and your particular instrument. (There are some great new products on the market.) I've taught violin and fiddle playing for the past 18 years and will answer questions about playing and technique.

I've been studying the violin for over thirty years. I started teaching in 1996. In addition to my training at Lebanon Valley College and at the Violin Institute, I handle violins, bows, and customer questions of all sorts on a daily basis in my shop - J.S. Fisher Violins,

I hold a Bachelor of Music degree from Lebanon Valley College, as well as certificates in violin repair, violin maintenance, and bow rehairing from the Violin Institute at the University of New Hampshire.