Violin/Taking apart a violin and putting it back together again

Question
QUESTION: HI,

My 14 year old daughter wants me to buy a banged up violin so she can take it apart and put it back together again and strip the varnish and repaint it.  I was wondering if you have any tips and also what type of glue I should get her if she decides to completely dismantle it rather than just stipping the varnish and repainting it?

I was thinking of getting an old Pfrehschner or whatever I can get for about $60 (although I hear they are heavy violins).  I was going to steer clear of any with cracks, but do you think if she glued the cracks that it would be an issue?

Thanks for any advice you can give,

Claire

ANSWER: Hi Claire

I will answer more fully later after I have a better idea of what your daughter wants to do.

One of the first things you must think about is how you are going to put the instrument  back together, assuming you meant by that to remove the top. Gluing the top on requires clamping it all around so that nothing is left open and the neck is at the proper angle, that requires about 30-35 clamps. Since you were asking about glue (hot hide glue always), I assume you are talking about the removal of the top, but I just want to be sure before going into too much detail. Cracks are a different issue, but can also be tackled if one knows how to proceed.

Depending on what you want the end result to be, keep in mind that "paint" ruins the sound.  If she is looking at producing an art work, that is fine, but if she wants an instrument that can be played, the paint will destroy the sound.  I know you are only talking about a low quality instrument, but it will still make it sound worse than it originally was.

Let me know what her plans for "taking apart" are so that I may more fully answer your question.

QUESTION: Thanks for your reply, I have talked to my daughter and it seems she just wants to mess with the finish for now (so no gluing and clamping required).

I have done a little web surfing and I think that I might be able to persuade her to use some dyes that can be added to varnishes - I saw some called TransTint, but know nothing about them or what varnish should be made or store bought to use - although I want to try and avoid a heavy varnish, is there such a thing as an oiled finish? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I think she plans on still trying to get a tune out of it for practice at home, after she has finished messing with it, but don't worry - she has a more expensive one that she uses for Orchestra at school.

Thanks,

Claire

Answer
Hi again

Let's assume you are going to strip the varnish, I would recommend that you use a citrus based furniture stripper like Citristrip available at Home Depot. This is much better than sanding or scraping off the old finish. Transtints are nice but they are expensive ($20 each) and you don't use very much as they are very highly concentrated, easy to use too much. Once the violin is stripped, in the white, the wood needs to be sealed. This may be easier on a stripped instrument than on a new wood instrument since some of the original finish may have sealed the pores of the wood somewhat.  In any case, orange shellac works well for this, a hardware store version like Bullseye works fine, also available at Home depot, this should be diluted to about 1:3 ratio with denatured or grain alcohol (also used to clean the brushes after using the shellac.  Usually 2-3 coats very lightly sanded with 320 (wet-dry), use dry at this point or use wet with odorless mineral spirits, which you will need anyway to clean your brushes later when doing the actual varnishing. We don't want to use water as it will raise the wood grain. If you choose to use Transtint, a drop or two of a yellow or yellow brown will give it a nice ground color.

Once the shellac ground layers are dry, the process of actually varnishing the instrument can start.  I also recommend an oil finish as it is easier to apply than a spirit finish. An easy to use product called "Birchwood - Casey Gun Stock Finish" is available, sometimes even at Walmart, do an internet search, it can also be ordered on line from lots of places. The smallest bottle should be enough (I think it's 3 oz.).  This is a linseed oil based finish that is similar to what a lot or European instrument makers used in the late 1800's. It is fast drying and Transtint can be mixed into it.  You might prefer to get some Artist Oil Colors instead (around $10-12 each), again the Transtint is very concentrated and twice the price. The idea with varnishing a violin is that you use different colors in different layers and build it up, that is how you get the transparency and depth of field that good violins have.  Here is an example of the layers using some artist colors:
1) Artist Oil (AO) Transparent Earth Yellow
2) AO Transparent Orange and AO Transparent Earth Red
3) AO Transparent Earth Red
4) AO Transparent Earth Red and AO Asphaltum
5) AO Asphaltum

If you use the Transtints - these are the ones that I have used: Amber, Honey Amber, Golden Brown, Reddish Brown, Medium Brown, Dark Vintage Maple, Red Mahogany.  You won't need all, but pick at least 3 or four from lighter to darker. Skip mixing it first with mineral spirits and just add it directly to the finish and mix very, very well. Final reminder, a drop or two is a lot.

Notice you keep changing colors, remember a little red goes a long way and you can't get rid of it if it is too red. For each one of these, about 1/8" to 1/4" squeezed out from the tube is often enough.  Always try the varnish color in the peg box before starting on the instrument, you can always make it darker. Varnish in the direction of the woods grain, it can hide any inconsistencies. A few drops of Kerosene in the finish can make the application smoother, too much and it can make it runny. Be careful around the F holes because of runs, check back and lift off any runs with a dab from a finger or a clean lint free cloth.

The amount of each color is to taste and needs to be completely dissolved in the finish before starting the application. Mixing the color first with a few drops of mineral spirits makes it easier to mix with the finish material. I like to use the little plastic disposable condiment containers from fast food places to mix my varnish coats. You can just toss them when done.  

Between each coat after it dries, use the 320 wet with mineral spirits, you are only trying to remove any dust that has adhered. Each coat should take one to two days to dry. After all the color coats are done, apply two that are only the clear finish, this will allow for rubbing out so you don't go through the color. You may want to use some 600 grit at this point for the final preparation. Don't forget that you don't varnish the neck itself. As you varnish each layer, you may want to clean any finish out of the peg holes while it is still wet, otherwise you may end up changing the sizes of the holes causing an issue with the pegs later on.

This is not a simple task, there are some violin varnishes available that has the color already mixed in. One place to get these is from International Violin Company.  This varnish takes longer to dry between coats and is sometime difficult to get it dark enough, at least to my taste, however there is little to no mixing. Otherwise the directions are basically the same. Be sure to varnish in a space that is as dust free as possible, these aren't bad for you chemicals, check about the stripper, but that can be done outside if needed.  

Violin

David Lashof