Violin/violin

Question
Mr. Lashof  
What time period would the Faciebat anno 1722 label with a "v" in Stradivari and a "s" instead of "f" in the word Cremonensis be from. I found another website with the same label but it was in a different language I couldn't make sense of.  The label is from another garage sale violin.  I can't find a country of origin either.  The varnish/color pattern has a golden color in the upper/lower bout corner areas with red/brown throughout the c-bout and f hole areas. {sunburst} Sorta like the Knillings that are around present day. I hope that helps. 10-11 grain lines per inch on the belly and flamed back and sides.  The word German is stamped below the endpin and the chinrest metal is copper or brass and stamped Made in Germany. Could this be pre 1891 if no country is written inside?  Thank you.

P.S. - It's a basket case but still playable.

Answer
Hi Duke

This problem sometimes comes with identifying exact age because some imports used a secondary "Made in" label that could have been removed. Since the violin itself is stamped "Germany" it is probably post 1921 but could be as early as 1914, unfortunately the label spelling doesn't help as they were used for a long period. The import law didn't require the country of origin to be on a label inside the instrument, but it couldn't be just a loose tag hanging on the instrument. The varnish/wood grain won't help but the woodworking might. One issue with instruments marked with Germany, is that they may have been made in Czechoslovakia and walked across the border. With the rise of the German war machine, many makers fled across the border but still made instruments. The chin rest of course is removable but it could have been plated and the plating could have worn off. It also may not have been made to be exported to the US and as such doesn't fall completely within the McKinley Tariff Act rules.  

Violin

David Lashof