Violin/Ink Drawing on Violin

Question
QUESTION: Hi Michael,

I have a cheap violin that I want to draw ink designs on in the style of the hardanger violin.  Here's a link to a pdf I made with examples that caught my eye (http://marilynm.org/pdfs/Violin_Ink.pdf).

I read your instructions on this site about striping the finish off a violin. Would that be the first step? Then would I paint directly onto the face of the violin or etch into the wood with a metal pen?

Do you have any knowledge of the kind of ink used or what the process might be like?

I am so moved by the appearance of this ink work on the violin and am excited to explore this technique myself. Any thoughts would be gratefully received!

Marilyn McNeal
Oakland, CA
marilynm.org

ANSWER: Hi Marilyn
I don't know if you meant to send this question to Michael Barkas, but it came to me.

All the instruments I have ever seen with this kind of ornamentation, the ink was on top of the varnish. Otherwise it may get washed out by the colored varnish. Some varnishes may not be compatible and the solvent in the ink might disolve your varnish and make a mess. When done, a clear varnish needs to go over the ink. Without testing your varnish, there is no way for me to know if it is compatible with the ink. You will have to experiment on an inconspicuous spot on the violin. You will also need to go to a violin shop to find out what clear varnish will be compatible with your violin varnish as it is not possible to make a recommendation without personally seeing your instrument.

If all you want to do is have art work and not use the instrument, using acrylic paint should work.

Keep in mind that doing this will effect the violins value and may effect the sound.

QUESTION: Thanks for that info, David. It gives me a helpful starting point. Here is some background info I did not include . . .

I got the violin for $20 off of eBay and I plan on playing it but not so much in the traditional sense. My intention is to change the bridge and make some other adjustments and then do some live looping with it. I would also like to use the sounds the violin generates as the source for samples to be used in sound design projects.

I asked around and the general pathway that is emerging seemed to be

- start by giving the finish a light rub down with fine [1000] grade paper, or wire wool
- then get the dust off with a tac rag...or turps on a lint free rag
- then put on a couple of coats of varnish or sealant of some kind so the ink doesn't get messy
- then do the ink design (Micron felt tip pens by Pigma)
- let the ink dry and apply a coat or two of clear violin varnish

Does this sound like a good set of steps for the project described? Can you explain why I would scuff up the finish, then put on varnish before drawing with the ink? Seems like I am removing something (finish) just to replace it with something similar (coats of varnish).

Final question . . . what kind of varnish would I use at this stage of the process (right before drawing with felt tip pen)? Brand name or type?

Thanks in advance for your kindness

Marilyn

Answer
Hi again

Generally the steps are correct.  Scuffing up the finish gets any foreign matter off - like oils and makes for an easier adherence for the new material - both ink and varnish. I don't think you need to add finish before the ink. As I said the first time around:

"All the instruments I have ever seen with this kind of ornamentation, the ink was on top of the varnish..... Some varnishes may not be compatible and the solvent in the ink might dissolve your varnish and make a mess. When done, a clear varnish needs to go over the ink. Without testing your varnish, there is no way for me to know if it is compatible with the ink. You will have to experiment on an inconspicuous spot on the violin. You will also need to go to a violin shop to find out what clear varnish will be compatible with your violin varnish as it is not possible to make a recommendation without personally seeing your instrument".

Here are the steps as I see it:
1. test or have someone test the varnish on the instrument to find out what it is - oil, alcohol, lacquer, water based or polyurethane. You can usually put a soft varnish over top of a hard varnish, but not the other way around.  It is always best to use them same class varnish, oil on oil... If the proper varnish is not used, there can be catastrophic results.
2. scuff up the finish either a small test area or the whole thing - under the chin rest or between the chin rest hardware makes a good test area.
3. do a small ink/marker test on an inconspicuous spot
4. try your over varnish on the spot
5. if everything looks good after it has completely dried, then and only then do the entire project.

Violin

David Lashof