Violin/Size of Guarneri, and Strad

Question
Hello!  I (Eddie Hodges) was watching an illustration on YouTube about violins.  There were two (2) violins displayed:  A Guarneri Del Gesu, and a Stradivius.  From my observation, the Guarneri Del Gesu violin seemed to be a bit larger in size than the Strad. It almost looked like a Viola.  Am I correct, or not?  Please let me know.

Answer
Hi Eddie,

Thanks for your question.  I'll answer as best I can, though I'm really not a historical expert.  

Every violin is unique, and what you observed may be true of the violins you saw.  However, there are over 500 surviving Strad violins, I believe, and around 40-50 Guarneris.  Each has its own unique characteristics.  Both of these makers experimented with different designs and sizes throughout their careers, so the resulting violins vary quite a bit.  Demands on the instruments were also changing - with the violin just starting to become a solo instrument, requiring greater volume (which meant thicker plates and greater arching) and a longer fingerboard (to accommodate higher position playing).  Stradaveri was the first, I believe, (part-way through his career) to make a "long" pattern violin - what we now consider to be the standard 4/4 size.  

So, it really does depend on the particular instruments.  In general, Guarneri violins are known for their flatter arching, sloping shoulders, and darker tone.  While Strads are known more for their meticulous craftsmanship, brighter tone, and temperamental nature.  

Jim Fisher  

Violin

James S. Fisher