Violin/Violin bow

Question
Hi David
Would you know a rough value of a violin bow branded RENAUDIN PARIS?
Were these a production line of Eugene Cuniot-Hury? I can't find much about them. I guess I don't understand why Eugene Cuniot-Hury would use the name RENAUDIN. If you have any ideas, I would appreciate hearing them.
Thank you so much for your time !

Regards
John

Answer
Hi John

I will try to give you some information that I have pieced together but as I stated in my bio, every appraiser can't know every makers work and alas I have not seen one of these bows.

Eugene Cuniot (Hury was his wife's name)worked in Mirecourt France in the late 1800 - early 1900's. He was a professional bow maker and copied many of the great makers. I have no knowledge of him specifically stamping any bows Renaudin Paris.

There were five makers with the name Renaudin. One was a bow maker.

The bow maker worked in Mirecourt and stamped his bows simply Renaudin.
Three of the violin makers worked in Mirecourt and Leopold worked in Paris for most of his time although he was born in Mirecourt.

Obviously without a close up examination of the bow by someone that knows his work, it is hard to say if it is by him. As it says Paris on it, my assumption is that the Paris shop ordered bows from some source, probably Mirecourt as that was where most of the instruments and bows in bulk were produced and simply stamped them with his name and location. He also may have purchased it from an unnamed local source and created a "brand" so to speak.

Almost as long as violins and bows have been made, copies have existed. Not just good copies but commercial products that were simply marked with the name. Much of this was done to denote model but some was done for deception purposes. Just think how many hundreds of thousands of instruments are labeled Stradivari.

So if it was sold by Cuniot, it could be just an import that he marked with his shop name. Almost any violin shop you go into today has a shop brand instrument that was not made in their shop. Many shops use the name of their shop, a name of a well known maker or simply a made up name.

A few of the Renaudin Paris stamped bows have sold at auction, they had plain ebony frogs mounted in Silver and sold in the $800-1200 range. No attribution was made.

On the internet I did find one shop in South Africa that claims a bow in their collection is made by Cuniot and stamped Renaudin Paris. I find it interesting that no one else has made this connection and so I don't put too much stock in it especially since I don't know Cuniot's work.

I'm sorry that I was unable to give you more information.

Violin

David Lashof