Violin/Hopf violin

Hopf stamp
Hopf stamp  
I have recently purchased an old violin with a label inside that has christian donat hopf ,there are more words on label but can not make them out do to ware.
It has hopf stamped on back of the body near the neck.
What i believe to be the serial number is, no.1736.
I have also recieved a karl herrman bow with the violin.
I have attached some pictures that i hope can be of assistance. I can send more if needed.

Hi Matthew

I can't be 100% sure without a series of closeup pictures or netter yet, to see it in person, but I am almost positive that this is a commercial trade instrument with a facsimile Christian Donat Hopf label. This was a common practice and millions of violins have fake labels. C. D. Hopf  worked in the 1700's so the 1736 is the date it is modeled after, old violins, pre 1900, rarely had serial numbers. Yours is more realistically made, based on the workmanship, in the late 1800's to early 1900's. Typically they are worth in the $500-1000 price range and condition and sound will set the actual price.

Karl Herrmann was a violin maker, not a bow maker, so the bow was made at one of many European factories or small shops that Herrmann contracted to make bows of different qualities and then stamped his shop name on them. That doesn't mean it isn't a decent bow, it just means that someone would have to take a close look at it to see the quality of the work, the quality of the wood and other materials in order to determine the quality,  These can be anywhere from almost worthless to being valued as much as $500.

So you are going to need to have the items examined more closely than can be done here, so look for a violin shop or musical instrument auction house to take them to.

David Lashof

I can answer questions on violin, viola, cello and bass making, repair and maintenance as well as supply general violin value ranges and information on instrument makers’ assuming the instrument's as labeled. I don't give values for modern makers as many of these modern makers are yet unknown to me. I can only give you feedback based on what information you give me, and no authority on the instrument can know every maker's work that ever lived. I have access to many books on makers and auction prices on over 25,000 makers, as well as having 36 years of experience with selling and appraising violins. Without having the instrument in hand, any estimate over the internet is just a guess as the label inside an instrument is more often wrong than right, so just having that information is not very useful. Pictures can sometimes be helpful but only so much, as the "feel" of the instrument along with small clues in workmanship and varnish cannot be seen in pictures. Any pictures should be high quality close-ups of the top and back. Additional photos of the front and treble side of the neck are also useful. It is always best to have an instrument seen in person at a violin shop that does appraisals. I can also provide advice on bows, rosin, strings and other string instrument accessories. As I am now retired, I have no bias towards selling anything; I only wish to share my knowledge and experience by providing information for those that may be getting confused by misinformation, misdirection or conflicting statements. (While I have seen many thousands of instruments and have performed numerous appraisals; if I have not evaluated an instrument in person, any information I set forth in an opinion is just that, an opinion based solely on what you have provided. Thusly, no financial decision should be based on that opinion, but rather, further investigation should be performed by having the instrument examined in person.)

I am a retired violin maker and repairman with 35 years experience having worked in Chicago and Maryland at 5 different violin shops and music stores including the first violin repairman at William Harris Lee in Chicago, the head repairman at Weavers Violins in Maryland, and in my own shop of 25 years. I have made 160 instruments and have restored countless professional level and student grade instruments. I am an accomplished violinist having performed with semi-professional as well as amateur groups although I haven't played for years and mostly stay away from questions about playing. I have taught violin making and restoration to about 20 students; three of which have gone on professionally and now have their own shops. I know violins from playing, selling, repairing, making and teaching.

Violin Society of America (VSA). American String Teachers Association (ASTA)

I graduated from the prestigious 4 year Chicago School of Violin Making in 1981 under Master Violin Maker Tschu Ho Lee. I also studied with violin maker Willis M. Gault in Washington DC from 1973-75, who was the former owner of the oldest known example of an instrument from the modern violin family, an Andreas Amati Viola.

2008 Chester Petranek Award for service to the music community. ASTA award for service. Top All Expert in Violin for 2014 and 2015.

I have worked with many professional musicians from DC area Symphonies as well as players from all over the US. Here are just a few, Leonard Slatkin - Former conductor of the National Symphony Orchestra. Doris Gazda - Nationally renowned string specialist and composer. Bernard Greenhouse, Tanya Anisimova - Internationally renowned Solo Cellists. Jody Gatwood, Mark Pfannschmidt, Lori Barnet, Doug Dubé, Judy Silverman - National Philharmonic Orchestra. Robert Blatt, David Hardy, Glen Garlick - National Symphony Orchestra. Eddie Stubbs, Brendan Mulvahill, Nate Leath - Professional Fiddle Players. David Basche, Pat Braunlich, John Knudson, Romano Solano, Ed Ferris, Fred Lieder - freelance musicians.